turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My Best Bird Yet

Started by oakraidia, May 05, 2023, 09:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakraidia

Yesterday I was lucky enough to bag my first multi beard tom. Birds were gobbling hard on the roost and after flying down, but were keeping their distance and not showing themselves. It sounded like 5+ toms in 3 different locations. At around 8 I had 2 separate toms about 50 yards out in different locations, but still couldn't see them in the vegetation. Shortly after that a hen with a tom in tow showed themselves a little further off, the hen drifted away and the tom started to come my way. He hung up right at 40 yards and went into half strut, but wouldn't come closer to my setup. I was really hoping to get a good show and watch him come in at full strut, but he started to walk away. That's when I decided to take the 40 yard shot. I didn't even notice he had 3 beards until I went to start cleaning him. I tried to get a good picture of the 3 beards, but the picture is a little blurry.

23.5 lbs
Beard 1 = 10 1/16"
Beard 2 = 7 5/8"
Beard 3 = 5 1/8"
Spurs both = 1 1/4"

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Congratulations on nice gobbler

Turkeybutt

Congratulations on a great bird.

Brianb3006

Congratulations on an awesome Tom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

toneloc

Congrats, that's a boss gobbler!

WildSpur

Congratulations!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

3bailey3

Mossberg90MN

Congrats! It's always so cool to get a bird like this. Highlight of the season that's for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZ

Marc

You cannot complain about that one!  Very nice bird. :icon_thumright:
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

oakraidia

I had to edit the post, I had a typo on the spurs. They were both 1 1/4", not the 1 1/2" I previously posted.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

GobblerReaper

Awesome! Congrats on a great gobbler!

JeffC

Congrats on your personal best! Great Tom.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

zelmo1