OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Beat, Beaten and Beat up ( Update)

Started by zelmo1, May 04, 2023, 12:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

Humbling day and start to the season here. 4 days straight of wind and rain and 40 degree temps. That's the best part, my old butt is draggin. I had 3 toms run circles on me today, when they finally said, " Send him Tammy, see if he is worthy" I call Tammy to 20 yards, safe off, dead ringer on him. Gobbling great, strutting nice. But wait, where is the beard. I think " they " were a 3 year old. Full fan, hearty gobble and mot a hair on his chest. I know the other 2 are studs, so I don't shoot. That's the beaten part. I went up and down and across that dam hill 27 times. One one of those trips I went butt over tea kettle and smashed my back and shoulder, the one that I dad the surgery on, but the worst was my mangled thumb. It didn't break, only the lord knows how, but it is hurtin pretty bad. Probably lose the nail. This was a public service announcement to show y'all it can get worse, lol. Keep at em and shoot straight. I will be out tomorrow. Z

aclawrence

Dang that does sound like a rough start. The turkeys have been working me over to. Hope your thumb and shoulder are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhoward11

Well, it can only get better from here. I would give you a thumbs up emoji, but don't think it would go over very good. lol. Keep after'em.

Turkeybutt

Wow Zelmo you are off to a really bad start!
Lets hope it can only get better bud. Take care of that thumb and your back
Go get them tomorrow and keep us posted.

Greg Massey

Hang with them, you will get your gobbler ...good Luck.. I agree it can only get better ...

Spring Creek Calls

Go get em Z, better days are coming. That SA-28 is begging to bark.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

zelmo1

Thx guys, just whining out loud, lol. Z

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Farmboy27

Damn!!  It's going to be hard for me to complain about things after reading that!! 

HillclimberWV

I want to beat you in the contest but I'd rather you not take yourself out completely. Anyways heres to hoping for better weather and softer landings.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

WV Flopper

Hey, I could hunt with you any day. Almost sounds like a regular day for me! At least if we were together one of us could call for help....LOL

Made a quick trip "Due to crappy weather" to Ohio. Killed a Tom this morning and hit a deer two hours later on the trip back to WV.

My poor old truck has been a good one. Sorry truck! You should have quit long ago.... Glutton for punishment I guess!

Happy

Sorry Z, It will get better. I think.....

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

zelmo1

Coming into focus now. Only lost a small chunk of thumbnail, good. I shot one of the birds that hoodwinked me on Thursday, got him Saturday, better. Wife shot a jake with a 6" beard there today. Her first bird with her new 28, she was happy. I thought he was a Tom from the look I got and called the shot, my mistake. I was too far from her to hear her say it was a jake. But when he gobbled after playing nice like a good boy, she pasted him with that little pop gun with TSS. 35-38 yards and completely stoned him. Best. Everything else is gravy now peeps. Z

Bedge7767

Glad everything turned around for you.
Jim

Greg Massey

Good for you both... congrats ....