OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Planting Chufa

Started by Brianb3006, May 04, 2023, 08:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brianb3006

Does anyone have any advice on planting chufa? This will be my first time to try to grow it. I'll be planting with a drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bill

Take special care to cover all the seed, limit spillage, and plant just prior to rainfall. Last spring I planted a couple of half acre plots an old fashioned two row corn planter which does a middling job of covering the furrows.  The turkeys found the seed, followed the rows, and wiped out both plots.  It did not help that it stayed dry for weeks following planting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brianb3006

Quote from: Bill on May 04, 2023, 09:51:42 AM
Take special care to cover all the seed, limit spillage, and plant just prior to rainfall. Last spring I planted a couple of half acre plots an old fashioned two row corn planter which does a middling job of covering the furrows.  The turkeys found the seed, followed the rows, and wiped out both plots.  It did not help that it stayed dry for weeks following planting.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

ShortMagFan

Not sure where you are located. I'm in the piedmont of South Carolina. I've had my property for 12 years. The only time I've had a pig problem was when I had chufa in the ground and I swore it off for that reason. Of course I'm a glutton for punishment and have a few of my larger clover plots that need to be redone and will probably put them in chufa this summer.

Here is the note on my phone I keep with chufa planting instructions/steps:
- Glyphosate to kill everything
- Plow after everything is dead
- spray Treflin @1.5 qt per acre
- fertilize @17-17-17 @ 200/acre
- Plow
- Plant (I can't remember seeding rate but I do heavier than what the internet says)
- spray Poast/24db a couple weeks later To manage grass and weeds

The chufa will come up as green sprouts and turn brown in the fall. Once it turns brown the turkey (and pigs) can't resist it. In my case, due to the pigs, I didn't have any chufa left late winter/early spring. I did have some volunteer chufa come up the following year

wareagle22

If you have hogs, even occasionally, they will find them and destroy them.   We had to stop planting them as the hogs would find them and they'd be gone in one night. 

jhoward11

My only problem with chufa was the clay I was planting it in. I think it had a hard time getting through the soil after a hard rain packed the dirt. I think sandy soil would be ideal.

Shiloh

We are in clay country too, but we run a pulverizing disk through ours a few times a season and it works well.

Goblen

Bushhog,spray ( Glyphosate) wait two too three weeks and disc. Plant 1.5 to 2 inch deep. Apply 10/10/10 and wait til it's get up good. Give it another round of 10/10/10 just before rain. Spray grass killer (clethodim) on it and or broadleaf killer 2,4db (butyrac 200) do not mix the two, if needed. And DO NOT USE 2,4 D IT WILL KILL CHUFA. Weeds and grass can really hurt your plot if left alone. Alot easier to spray if it in rows that you can go down without hitting crop. Not so much if you broadcast.

g8rvet

Can you just turn it under with a disc or does it need to be drilled?  Don't have that. 

When to plant in North Florida/South Georgia?  No hogs seen on property and if I do, it is my home place and we can have fun with that too.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

ShortMagFan

You can definitely use a disc

shatcher

Plant a lot.  They will wear it out once they find it.

Brianb3006

Would it be better to plant multiple plots? Perhaps two 1 acre plots or a single two acre plot.

runngun

I would definitely plan on doing 2 plots.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Brianb3006

Thanks

worth612000

Get your soil tested for best results