turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Will scared turkeys return?

Started by mnhunter2, May 03, 2023, 03:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnhunter2

Was driving UTV and setting up a few blinds and a flock of jakes saw me and ran into the woods, will they come back in a short while or just leave the area, the farmer drives around checking his cows all the time on this property so they are used to UTV traffic?

Greg Massey

More than likely they just easy off back into the woods...  Those Jakes were more interested in each other than seeing you...

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Marc

Hunted a cattle ranch years back...  Birds would gobble at the quads and UTV's...

I also noticed that birds would ignore trucks, quads, etc., as long as they did not slow down...  If the vehicle stops, the birds will make haste.

If you go to an area that does not have much vehicle traffic, I do feel that especially quads/UTV's will have a more severe effect though.  Cattle ranch with regular vehicle traffic, birds that run off initially will answer a call within 20 minutes or so....

Funny story...  Hunting a bird on a cattle ranch...  Birds were across a small jeep road coming right at me, and I see a ranch hand driving towards me on the jeep road (I am sitting against a tree along the road).

Tom with a hen are coming my way, with the hen leading the way obviously upset at my calling in her territory...  Maybe 60 yards and closing.  I am thinking that if the truck does not stop, it will not affect the situation. 

Truck stops right in front of me, literally between the birds and myself, and the ranch hand gets out of the vehicle (so I know the jig is up).  I assumed it was to talk to me, and as I sat there contemplating my poor luck, the driver walkd around to the back of the truck...  At which time I stood up and said "Hello there."

He about had a heart attack...  I think if he would have had a gun he would have shot me!  Apparently stopped there out of pure coincidence and had no idea I was there.  And he stated "I thought you were a dead body attacking me!"
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Cowboy

Just like Arnold Schwarzenegger, they'll be back.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

DROCK

jb1069

Like the others have said they will be back. On my property I try to use the utv or tractor for all non hunting activity. I will regularly drive up on turkeys and deer. I believe they get use to the farm activities and know this is not an immediate threat. Many times they will walk off 20 feet and wait for me to pass. Now if I am on foot they will run just like normal and leave out a lot sooner.

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Vintage

The bird I killed this year ran off when I rode in on an ATV. I sit in a blind 200 yds from where he ran into the woods. Half hour later he comes out of the woods with two hens. Half hour later I killed him from the blind.