OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Unpopular opinion on TSS 20ga

Started by Poohflinger, May 03, 2023, 02:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I think TSS shot provides the option of choosing a lighter gun with less recoil without sacrificing the performance a 12 gauge delivers.  That's just my take on it. 

Now when my son was 10-11-12 year's old he used a Mossberg 20 gauge pump and Winchester Longbeards to kill several turkeys.  All were one shot kills and he never missed with that gun.  I guess I'm saying this to make the point that TSS is not necessary even with the 20 gauge. 

I have killed turkeys with 3.5" 12 gauge TSS with my 835, but in my mind I felt it was way to much overkill.  Plus I got to the point that I got tired of sighting the gun in, especially with expensive TSS.  Apex 12 ga 3.5" TSS is $14 a shell.  Apex 3" .410 TSS is $6.2 a shell.  I now hunt with with a 301 .410.  It's cheaper to shoot, light, simple and reliable.  It kills turkeys just fine within 40 yards and I never took shots over 40 yards when I was shooting the 835. 

So I guess what I'm saying is that using TSS really makes a smaller bore shotgun perform similar to shooting lead shot in a 12 gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

btodd00

ive went all the way across the spectrum, started out with a 12g and #4 lead and currently shoot a 410 with #10 tss (shot alot of gauges and shot size in the middle also). My findings have been 12g, 20g, 410, #4 lead, #5 lead, #6 lead, #5hevi, #7heavyweight, #9 tss, #9.5 tss, #10 tss all equaled dead turkeys. Majority of shots were 35 and under but they all did their job. Once I started carrying a single shot 410 around, even my 20g felt heavy. I dont think I will use anything but a 410 as long as it is legal and #10 tss handholds have been field proven for both me and my son over the last 2 seasons

Brillo

Welcome to OG.  I can't speak to the technical aspects of downrange killing power but assuming that the above assertions are true I would go 20 gauge just for the weight savings.  I looked up the guns you are considering and there is a  about a 1.5 pound difference or maybe a bit more.  At one point in my life that meant nothing but as I have aged it matters much.  Since a gun is a lifetime purchase I would go twenty (unless you are unconvinced that TSS in a 20 ga. will kill a bird at the ranges you normally shoot).  A factor you did not mention is the availability of TSS.  If that goes away then you are likely back to lead at 20 ga. power which means 25 or so yard shots.

bowbird87

There is lots of research on the ways shotgun pellets kill. All studies found number of pellets in the target was way more important than shot size and excessive penetration (as long as minimum penetration is met). All things things considered TSS will always put more pellets on target and carry more than enough energy to kill over lead.

jb1069

I guess I am at the opposite end of this. Just switched to TSS this year but I didn't get rid of my 3 1/2in gun and I bought the 3 1/2 Apex to shoot out of it. Unbelievable patterns and crazy killing power! I love it. I guess I'm in the crowd of "Why do you shoot 3 1/2's? Because they don't make 4's!" But there is no doubt in my mind that TSS in a 20g would be more than enough.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 04, 2023, 07:30:16 AM
I think TSS shot provides the option of choosing a lighter gun with less recoil without sacrificing the performance a 12 gauge delivers.  That's just my take on it. 

Now when my son was 10-11-12 year's old he used a Mossberg 20 gauge pump and Winchester Longbeards to kill several turkeys.  All were one shot kills and he never missed with that gun.  I guess I'm saying this to make the point that TSS is not necessary even with the 20 gauge. 

I have killed turkeys with 3.5" 12 gauge TSS with my 835, but in my mind I felt it was way to much overkill.  Plus I got to the point that I got tired of sighting the gun in, especially with expensive TSS.  Apex 12 ga 3.5" TSS is $14 a shell.  Apex 3" .410 TSS is $6.2 a shell.  I now hunt with with a 301 .410.  It's cheaper to shoot, light, simple and reliable.  It kills turkeys just fine within 40 yards and I never took shots over 40 yards when I was shooting the 835. 

So I guess what I'm saying is that using TSS really makes a smaller bore shotgun perform similar to shooting lead shot in a 12 gauge.

Good Post!
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Brillo on May 04, 2023, 08:09:54 AM
  A factor you did not mention is the availability of TSS.  If that goes away then you are likely back to lead at 20 ga. power which means 25 or so yard shots.

I think about that possibility often in that TSS could become unavailable and the 20 gauge will plummet in popularity. That is really the main reason that I am hanging on to my two 12 gauges that I hunted with for so long.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

worth612000

There's no shortage of tungsten. And the way hunters are flocking to TSS the demand will remain. Face it todays new hunter think lead is obsolete

worth612000

I guess  I shouldn't say all that. I think we just hear more from tss shooters. Plenty of lead shooters who just don't post, due to arguments regarding which kills the best
But TSS is here to stay because lead will be banned in all States eventually

Brillo

I bought a 20 ga a couple of years ago and the fact that China dominates the world supply of tungsten was not a factor to me then or now but to some it might be an issue.

worth612000

China dominates most items and earth materials. U.S. forgot self reliance along time ago.

Marc

My take...

Higher density shot will maintain energy longer and have better penetration, and tends to pattern more consistently and easier to hold tight patterns (than lead or less dens shot).  A good TSS load in a 20 gauge will outpreform a great lead load in the 12 ga.

For most of us, and the ranges we are shooting (assuming 30 yards and under), we could shoot cheap target loads at these birds and they will die...  Just as quickly and well as with premium ammunition...  The premium ammunition comes into play when shooting through brush, or pushing ranges (which can happen on purpose or by mistake).

As far as recoil...  A stout load in a 20 ga. will kick as much as most turkey loads in a 12 ga. (unless you are shooting 3.5" 12 ga. loads).  The light weight of the 20 ga. gun does not absorb that recoil.  I was a bit surprised when I tried out a 20 ga. with duck loads, and actually felt that my 12 ga. (shooting standard duck loads) had more pleasant recoil...  And considering that some companies are making 2 oz turkey loads in the 20 ga., there will be NO relief from recoil there.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

RiverBuck

There is a huge difference between TSS and Lead when it hits the bird too. I don't take long shots. I use tungsten because it stones turkeys. They may flap their wings a few times when you pick them up but even my sons .410 has the same results.

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Greg Massey

If i'm using my 12 ga i still use the old copper coated lead 5 and 6 shot ... I don't own a box of TSS for 12 ga. gauge. Now with the 20 gauge i use the Old Federal HW 7 and I set up a new gun last year in 20 ga and i'm using number 6 long beards ... But i do own some 20 gauge TSS in Boss / Apex 20 /410 ... Nothing wrong with TSS in my opinion it makes a sub gun a fine turkey hunting gun paired with the right choke ...