turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Unpopular opinion on TSS 20ga

Started by Poohflinger, May 03, 2023, 02:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captfire

i shoot a 20ga. with #9 tss i killed 2 last year one at 52 yards and one at 55 yards . killed 2 this year at 50 yards 20 ga. is the way to go i sold my 12 ga and 20s is all i hunt with . they are easy to pack and don't kick like a mule....

Borsy

Probably already been said, but with TSS you basically get 12 gauge performance or better out of 20 gauge. If I had to take a 40 yard shot I think I'd feel more confident with TSS 9s out of my 20 than with 3" longbeards out of my 12. That said, I still frequently grab my 12 because it's fully adequate to 40 yards, and it's just fun shooting cheaper "traditional" turkey loads at turkeys (even standard copper plated lead turkey loads). The 20 is easier to tote and hold for long periods. Sometimes the 12 is just more fun to me.

Prospector

Haven't shot TSS myself. Researching a 28. A normal load of TSS #9s for a 28 has at least 12% MORE pellets than the 2oz of #6s in my current lead load. And the #9s are lethal at a longer distance than the #6s. Both loadings will kill a gobbler farther than my personal ethical distance so I know if I do go with said 28 and load then I am giving up nothing, losing weight and recoil...and of course spending a lot more $$$????
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

briton

This has got to be a troll comment at this point. A .410 set up the right way will out penetrate and out pattern that 12 gauge anvil 3.5 lead load, a 20ga tss pattern would embarrass it.

g8rvet

Quote from: briton on May 05, 2023, 09:53:07 AM
This has got to be a troll comment at this point. A .410 set up the right way will out penetrate and out pattern that 12 gauge anvil 3.5 lead load, a 20ga tss pattern would embarrass it.
LOL  Of course it is.  look at the OP's name. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

runngun

He picked one heck of a first post!!! Several liked the bait. They swallowed the hook, line, and sinker.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Greg Massey

I really don't care what the OP calls himself ... i do enjoy reading the comments on the TSS and Lead...

Borsy

I'm so ashamed and embarrassed now. I will never post again! Wait whoops....

Prospector

Quote from: runngun on May 06, 2023, 12:05:30 AM
He picked one heck of a first post!!! Several liked the bait. They swallowed the hook, line, and sinker.

Funny thing. If he was a Troll you're on the same hook I am????
As it is maybe our info is helping answer someone else's question... the LORD can sure work in mysterious ways. Thankfully
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

runngun

Prospector, you are certainly correct on all counts!!! Hope you have had a great season and are doing well!!!!

Have a good one, Bo

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Marc

Quote from: g8rvet on May 05, 2023, 02:02:07 PM
LOL  Of course it is.  look at the OP's name.
I thought it was a a medical problem?

Admittedly, took the bait and got gut-hooked.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

krm944

I am a huge fan of TSS. My adventure to TSS began differently. In VA we hunt deer with shotguns and buckshot. I wanted a 25 yard solution for a youth to harvest a deer from a blind. First I built my 9 year old son a 28 gauge semi youth shotgun.  Next I hand loaded a 1 ounce TSS BB load. A nice Buck arrived one morning at 15 yards. Little guy got some Buck fever at it was at 50 yards that he finally got composure to pull the trigger.

At 50 yards on a quartering away shot EVERY TSS pellet was a complete pass through and the far shoulder was broken in 3 places.

I have never had 12 ga 3 1/2  00 buckshot penetrate like that. With my own eyes I witnessed the 28 gauge/TSS combo lethality. 

TSS has a cost. I am willing to pay $5/ shotshell for my 9 year old to ethically harvest deer with a 28 gauge.  I am willing to pay $6/shotshell to carry a 4 pound 410 shotgun, with zero recoil that effectively kills turkeys at 40 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prospector

All is well, Sir. I had a good season here in Mississippi. We done now. It was a STRANGE season. Had info on many Longbeards and expected different than I got. Gobbling was somewhat less than anticipated. Green up was early, then it's almost like it stopped. Then had a bird in a spot homestead and gobble a lot! The last Saturday a hen was still flying to him in the am and when she did it was "Silent City". I knew where he went to post up and strut but wouldn't cross property lines to beat him there, lol.
Where was I? TSS. Will probably end up shooting it in a 28 or 20. #9s... I'm a 40ish yard guy self limit so that will give me that + a comfortable buffer in case of a range error. My current lead set up has worked a number on a bunch but it's in a heavy piece of artillery with recoil to boot- that will be the biggest reason for me.
I hope everyone has a safe and productive season- I'm on the sideline for now. As for Trolls? Keep it up. This has been a polite and enjoyable thread on all counts.