OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to camo chair?

Started by howl, May 03, 2023, 07:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

howl

I've enjoyed the less than 5# weight of this Alps Rendezvous Elite. My spray paint and camo tape requires annual touch up. Had anyone found a more permanent solution?

wchadw

I have a love/hate relationship with this chair
I love that it's so light
Hate just about everything else

Wish they would do this chair in black or some other colors
Needs a latch to keep it closed
Needs a carry strap

If alps would do these couple things it would be a great turkey chair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howl

Those things I have solved. I recommend doing so for ann the chairs whether they come with or without. I'll relate what asap.

wchadw

I painted mine brown but it easily comes off
I attached a strap but it breaks
I use Velcro strap to keep chair closed but it's a pain to keep up with.
Wish alps would modify this chair for hunters....

Marc

You could Cerakote it, or have it dipped (just like a shotgun)...  I believe there are do-it-yourself kits, but still expensive and time consuming...

You might try DuraCoat:

https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes.com/category-s/925282387.htm
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

wchadw

Quote from: Marc on May 03, 2023, 11:05:42 AM
You could Cerakote it, or have it dipped (just like a shotgun)...  I believe there are do-it-yourself kits, but still expensive and time consuming...

You might try DuraCoat:

Not sure I want to go that far. These are aluminum and I have broken a couple

Greg Massey

Just touch it up as needed, it will give you something to do before the turkey season each year... Also you can make a nice carry strap from a cheap padded gun sling...

perrytrails

I have the exact chair. Hit it with a touch up rattle can job when needed.

Marc

Quote from: wchadw on May 03, 2023, 11:39:35 AM
Quote from: Marc on May 03, 2023, 11:05:42 AM

You might try DuraCoat:

Not sure I want to go that far. These are aluminum and I have broken a couple

I feel ya'.  But, I would think than anything more durable than a can of rattle can will be more costly and time consuming...   Looks like the DuraCoat is about $30...

Me...  I am hittin' it with some rattle can and calling it a day.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

TonyTurk

I'm wondering if it really needs to be camouflaged in the first place.  Your body will cover up some of that orange when you're sitting in it.  I doubt the color of the chair will bother turkeys too much.

But as others have suggested I'd probably just touch it up and call it a day.

Bingoman

Camo gaffers tape on the tube, dark sharpie on the fabric

Tail Feathers

As far as a strap to keep it closed, try one of those gear ties.  The same concept as a bread tie but much more durable and easy on and off. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

howl

Here's an idea about carry strap, etc. I do the bungee mod for any chair whether it comes with a closing strap or not.

hipp2412

camo vinyl would hold up well on the frame.
Hipp

Neill_Prater

Glad you made this post. I have the same chair. My back issues dictate I tote a chair if sitting for more than a few minutes. I purchased for the reduced weight. Sprayed mine black, but the orange does peak through pretty quickly. I was totally fine with the look, but am hunting public some this year, and became concerned that something large and black with splashes of bright color on my back might not be a good idea, so cut a piece of camo netting and draped over it. Strap is simple, just tied on an extra strap off a string trimmer, or duffel bag, or something. Velcro strap wrapped around to keep it folded.

Now, to my real gripe. Why do they not produce the elite in a camo version? I mean, how difficult can it be? Frame painted flat black or olive, or brown, and the camo fabric they use on the heavier Vanish hunting chair should fit exactly.

I've contacted Alps via email to a customer service rep the past 2 years politely asking them the same question and suggesting that they are missing the boat by not doing so. I was basically, very nicely, told to pound sand and that they have no plans to produce a camo version. Perhaps if all of you guys would contact them as well, someone would listen.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk