OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Extractor marks on case head

Started by SteveF, May 01, 2023, 12:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveF

Hello everyone,

I have a new Mossberg SA-20 Tactical Turkey and I am shooting the Apex GT-20 ammunition.  The extractor seems to be pealing the rim out on one side (not sure which side) far more than the other. 

What are your thoughts on cause and possible things that I could do to correct it?  I figured I would check with you all before contacting Mossberg.

Thanks,
Steve

runngun

I would check out the chamber,  clean up the chamber, maybe even polish it. Hulll is not wanting to come out, Maybe sticking.

Does it happen on a unfired shell? Try and see  if it does.

Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

SteveF

Does not have the mark on an unfired round.  Do not see them on target loads either.  Could it be the roll crimp?  My son has the same shotgun and is shooting the same ammo and does not have this as much as mine, but definetely a noticable mark.

BandedSpur

Extractor marks are not that uncommon with gas guns and heavy turkey loads. The slow burning powders required to keep pressures in check produce a lot of gas. Gas operated guns that do not have some sort of self regulating gas system that vents off excess gas can sometimes eject the shell with too much force, which causes the extractor mark. If the gun does not leave the mark with target loads, that is likely the issue. The 20 gauge was/is designed to shoot shells with a maximum of 1.25 oz of lead shot, and we are shooting quite a bit more payload than that with TSS turkey shells.

Other than polishing the chamber to reduce friction when ejecting a fired shell, the only real fix is to shoot shells with a different powder or lighter payload. If you handload or know someone who does, they could reduce payload to 1.5 oz, 1&7/16 oz, or even 1&3/8 oz to see if that eliminates your issue. If you do not have access to handloads, Foxtrot makes a 1&3/8 oz load (other manufacturers may as well). Pumps, single shots, O/Us, and inertia powered autoloaders do not leave those extractor marks because they are not operated by high volumes of gas that cause the fast operating cycle.