turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ban This, Ban That!

Started by guesswho, April 29, 2023, 09:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

I know a lot of people want to ban this or ban that.   I never really cared until this morning.   I want to add owl hooters to the ban this wish list.   For the sake of a decent turkey hunt, please leave these home :TooFunny:    And if you get one to gobble, at least put it away, I've heard enough bad sounding hooty hoo's to last me the rest of my life.   You're not going to call him into gun range with it.   Just kidding, I really don't care, but it wouldn't  hurt my feelings if some people lost their owl calls.  And I won't  mention crow calls.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

joey46

From now on all OOS must wear blaze orange and a beanie hat with a bell.  This has got so silly it is funny. 

RutnNStrutn

Turkey cancel culture!!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

:funnyturkey:  :popcorn:  Nothing wrong with little HOWDY HOOT to greet you with of a morning, he's just letting you know he's hunting that section of the woods.. Pretty smart guy .... HE doesn't want to get SHOT... You need to look at the positive side and not all the negative side...Safety First ...

Mossyguy

And OOS hunters must only use Miley Cyrus songs as their locator calls

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on April 29, 2023, 09:01:49 AM
I know a lot of people want to ban this or ban that.   I never really cared until this morning.   I want to add owl hooters to the ban this wish list.   For the sake of a decent turkey hunt, please leave these home :TooFunny:    And if you get one to gobble, at least put it away, I've heard enough bad sounding hooty hoo's to last me the rest of my life.   You're not going to call him into gun range with it.   Just kidding, I really don't care, but it wouldn't  hurt my feelings if some people lost their owl calls.  And Inwont mention crow calls.

Is using a "Squealin' Hen" still going to be okay?  ...I am only asking for a friend, of course...  :angel9: ;D

Gooserbat

And now I think all calls should be registered with the OG police and in order to posses a call you must pass a proficiency test that is judged by a panel of OG members with 5000 or more post and the game warden from the next county over.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

guesswho

Squealing hen, ok :icon_thumright:
And I like the proficiency test idea :TooFunny:
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 29, 2023, 09:45:33 AM
And now I think all calls should be registered with the OG police and in order to posses a call you must pass a proficiency test that is judged by a panel of OG members with 5000 or more post and the game warden from the next county over.

Good idea,...but the problem will be finding enough OG members with good judgement to sit on the panel...   ;D :angel9: :toothy9: :newmascot:

Greg Massey

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 29, 2023, 10:05:17 AM
Quote from: Gooserbat on April 29, 2023, 09:45:33 AM

Good idea,...but the problem will be finding enough OG members with good judgement to sit on the panel...   ;D :angel9: :toothy9: :newmascot:
X2 3 4 ....  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

guesswho

Especially that are residents.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

howl

Hooters will for sure shut a bird down sometimes. You're much better off letting them do their thing without interference as far as that goes. To avoid being a hypocrite I'll use a hooter at times, but I generally leave it at home.

One of the funnerest stupid things I've done is buy a couple plastic hoot flutes out of the clearance bin and shot them with a turkey gun. I loathe a hoot flute.

BDeal

I seem to get more responses to a goose call

Happy

Can we add boxcalls to the list? I had a promising hunt ruined this morning from a few fellows from another state today. I won't say the state but when I meet people of this class and sophistication from this state, I refer to them as Pensyld$^ks. I called a gobbler up to 35 yards, I wanted him another 5 yards closer because of the gun I was using, but he was nervous and tucked his wings and walked off. Gave him  a bit and relocated a bit on him. Got him fired back up and working. Gobbling better than before. He was coming down a dirt road, and all of a sudden, a truck comes bouncing down the road. Drives about 100 yards past me, and two fellows get out and start working box calls like pruning shears. I just sat there and took in the magnificent performance. Turkey never gobbled again. . Not sure why.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

silvestris

I wish people would learn that one hoot or three caws is enough.  If he doesn't answer that he probably is not going to answer more hooting or cawing.  Then it would also be nice if these folks who can't call properly weren't so proud of their calling.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game