turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where to start 20ga semi

Started by strum, April 26, 2023, 07:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

Ive used 870s for years . pretty much been my go to turkey guns. I decided I want a semi auto but my want is specific.
May be hunting a ghost gun lol.
   20ga -20-21 inch barrel - youth  (or short LOP)- new bottomland camo- drilled and tapped for optics. most likely an 11-87 but open to other brands.

Any Ideas of where to start?

357MAGNOLE

It identifies as a semi-auto.

On the serious. I'm following this closely because that's exactly what I want.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

runngun

I know that you said semiautomatic, but 870 compact fits everything but the "auto".  I have been hunting with one this year, it patterns great but it still ain't my Ithaca model 37 turkey slayer, 12 bore.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

rakkin6

Quote from: strum on April 26, 2023, 07:45:06 PM
Ive used 870s for years . pretty much been my go to turkey guns. I decided I want a semi auto but my want is specific.
   20ga -20-21 inch barrel - youth  (or short LOP)- new bottomland camo- drilled and tapped for optics. most likely an 11-87 but open to other brands.

Mossberg SA-20 comes with a 22 inch barrel, already has a picatanny rail mounted on it, 12 3/4" length of pull. But I have only seen it in the Mossy Oak Greenleaf Pattern

https://www.mossberg.com/sa-20-tactical-turkey-75799.html

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: rakkin6 on April 26, 2023, 11:51:06 PM
Quote from: strum on April 26, 2023, 07:45:06 PM

Mossberg SA-20 comes with a 22 inch barrel, already has a picatanny rail mounted on it, 12 3/4" length of pull. But I have only seen it in the Mossy Oak Greenleaf Pattern

https://www.mossberg.com/sa-20-tactical-turkey-75799.html

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
That looks like a solid option for OP.  Could always get it dipped. I got my 870 dipped and then clear coated with cerakote for $250 locally. Of course it would be ideal to come as youd like it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

strum

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on April 26, 2023, 08:11:56 PM

this is the twin to my 20ga.   Its been my favorite gun ever.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: strum on April 27, 2023, 09:58:49 AM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on April 26, 2023, 08:11:56 PM

this is the twin to my 20ga.   Its been my favorite gun ever.
You have good taste sir.

strum

Lcmacd 58

xxmagnum

You can get a black one and get it camo dipped,  Remington 11-87 Compact 20 ga

RED NECK

I put together a new Rem 1187 20 ga compact last winter, had it dipped, drilled & tapped, mounted a vortex venom and a .575 Carlson's choke, I patterned it and never hunted with it last year but decided I would get it out early season this year, so last Friday I decided to use a set of williams ghost ring sights instead of the vortex, I patterned it and sighted in with Federal tss #7's and took it on its first hunt Sunday morning and had lots of action but no shot.

I was rained out for work yesterday morning so I decided I may as well go sit and get soaked and hunt, I took this bird at 13 yards, 2nd hunt for the gun. I also have two 870 20 compacts that I like but I am pretty happy with this little gun.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

RED NECK

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on May 02, 2023, 06:07:18 PM
I put together a new Rem 1187 20 ga compact last winter, had it dipped, drilled & tapped, mounted a vortex venom and a .575 Carlson's choke, I patterned it and never hunted with it last year but decided I would get it out early season this year, so last Friday I decided to use a set of williams ghost ring sights instead of the vortex, I patterned it and sighted in with Federal tss #7's and took it on its first hunt Sunday morning and had lots of action but no shot.

I was rained out for work yesterday morning so I decided I may as well go sit and get soaked and hunt, I took this bird at 13 yards, 2nd hunt for the gun. I also have two 870 20 compacts that I like but I am pretty happy with this little gun.
I may put a red dot on it again in the future but I do pefer the ghost ring fiber optic sights for my turkey guns...

Lcmacd 58

Those are some sweet guns ...

strum

Heartbreak Kid thats exactly the gun I want . Bring it to me dangit.
Truthfully I love my 870 just want to mix it up. By the way . My wife dont get it at all.

RED NECK

I had the shurshot stock here as I had bought it about 6-7 years ago when I bought my first 870 20 compact, If I build any more 870 or 1187's, Id try a phoenix technology stock, I have one for a little mossberg 500 20 bantam and I like it, I may try a tighter choke as I need a 3rd turkey choke for my 20 gauge remingtons anyway, I have a .570 titewad in the other,and no choke in the other 870 right now. I have about $1600 Canadian into gun, 1200 for gun new after tax and shipping, dip,d&t etc...they do not give anything away up here.....I always wanted the mobu with the 21" barrel but always put it off,now I can't find one....I think you would be happy with gun, I am.....other than the dip job is average at best....also makes it so I don't care if it gets marked and scratched up.