turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with greenleaf 11-87

Started by Borden811, April 25, 2023, 08:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

After searching forever, I've finally acquired an original, 21" barreled, greenleaf 11-87. Now to figure out what to run for a choke and load.  For chokes I've got a Carlsons non ported .640, a Trulock heavyweight TSS .650, an original Jellyhead .660, an Indian creek .665, a Remington factory extended ported turkey super full, a Remington factory straight rifled turkey super full, a Remington factory turkey extra full non ported, and a Remington factory super full turkey non ported. For ammo I was kind of thinking I'd like to keep it old school. I don't have any old lead loads(yet), but I do have a bunch of the "old white" hevi-13 in 3" #6, the old federal heavyweight 3" 1 5/8oz #7s, and I also have some Winchester longbeard 3" 1 3/4oz #5s and #6s(not really old school, but they're lead). Then I thought, why not maximize its potential. For that I have some factory Federal 3" 1 3/4oz TSS #9s, and I also have components to load my own 3" 2oz TSS #9 handloads. All that being said, which choke and load are you starting with?

Vintage

I bought mine new and use the factory super full and federal #6. Works great for me.

rakkin6

Quote from: Borden811 on April 25, 2023, 08:50:42 PM
After searching forever, I've finally acquired an original, 21" barreled, greenleaf 11-87. Now to figure out what to run for a choke and load.  For chokes I've got a Carlsons non ported .640, a Trulock heavyweight TSS .650, an original Jellyhead .660, an Indian creek .665, a Remington factory extended ported turkey super full, a Remington factory straight rifled turkey super full, a Remington factory turkey extra full non ported, and a Remington factory super full turkey non ported. For ammo I was kind of thinking I'd like to keep it old school. I don't have any old lead loads(yet), but I do have a bunch of the "old white" hevi-13 in 3" #6, the old federal heavyweight 3" 1 5/8oz #7s, and I also have some Winchester longbeard 3" 1 3/4oz #5s and #6s(not really old school, but they're lead). Then I thought, why not maximize its potential. For that I have some factory Federal 3" 1 3/4oz TSS #9s, and I also have components to load my own 3" 2oz TSS #9 handloads. All that being said, which choke and load are you starting with?
I would try the Indian Creek .665 of you are going to run the TSS

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Ranman

Indian creek .665 and Hevi 13 #6, would be my choice.