turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bird Numbers Down/ Decrees The Limit ?

Started by Greg Massey, April 25, 2023, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

With some states this year decreasing the bag limit, like for instance Tennessee from a 3 limit last year to 2 limit this year. In a way this is holding back the residence people who hunt and live in Tennessee. BUT they didn't do anything to limit the out of state people who travel to different states in killing gobblers. I've seen more people and videos of people traveling from state to state in the quest to kill more gobblers to fill a void because of states decreasing bag limits. SO my question is if a state / Tennessee decreases bag limits in support of saving more gobblers shouldn't it decrease the SALE Of OUT STATES LICENSE or completely do away with out of states sale for couple of YEARS? I'm not against people who travel, but decreasing the limit is all about saving and improving the overall number of gobblers for the future right...??  WHAT"S your opinion including what your state is doing in limiting sales of licenses or bag limits... IS IT ALL ABOUT THE MONEY OR REVENUE AND NOT REALLY ABOUT THE TURKEYS ALL TOGETHER .... I do know regardless of the sales of licenses you still have to be successful ... IMO ...

Tail Feathers

Revenue from OOS'ers is important to the states who receive much of it.  State wildlife depts realize this.  It's a factor in that decision making process.  Like it or not.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

joey46

Of course it is all about the money.  Add that politics is involved and that non-residents don't vote and you have a perfect storm.  Now that I live in Florida and frequent Florida forums I see and hear the FL resident crying every March.  The politicians here know how much money this descending hoard of non-res brings into the state and so things stay pretty much as is.  Compared to most states Florida is dirt cheap and still allows the use of a 10 day license to add the turkey tag.  Bet that stays the same also.  It really was an eye roller to see the FS article listing Florida in the top ten places to go based on available public land.  The writer missed that a whole lot of that public land is in a very regulated quota system.  It won't get any better.   

AndyN

I agree that if changes are made it should hit the NRs first. I don't think we're too far off from the majority of states going to a NR draw/quota for turkeys. As more states change people just shift where they're going. When KS went to one bird in all but two units the quality of hunting tanked in those two bird units. Why? Because every single person coming to KS wants the opportunity to shoot two. Now next year it will likely be one bird statewide with a NR draw by unit. I've seen some decent pockets of jakes but most won't make it. They'll end up in some guys freezer down south so he can tell his buddies he got his public land Rio. The most enjoyable hunts I have are in one bird or limited quota areas. They manage for a level of success based off of harvest results from the prior year as well as flock counts. The come one come all level of turkey management isn't working anymore.

Greg Massey

TFT.... This is something you need to get involved with and some answers... IMO

arkrem870

Tom007

Quote from: AndyN on April 25, 2023, 10:55:12 AM
I agree that if changes are made it should hit the NRs first. I don't think we're too far off from the majority of states going to a NR draw/quota for turkeys. As more states change people just shift where they're going. When KS went to one bird in all but two units the quality of hunting tanked in those two bird units. Why? Because every single person coming to KS wants the opportunity to shoot two. Now next year it will likely be one bird statewide with a NR draw by unit. I've seen some decent pockets of jakes but most won't make it. They'll end up in some guys freezer down south so he can tell his buddies he got his public land Rio. The most enjoyable hunts I have are in one bird or limited quota areas. They manage for a level of success based off of harvest results from the prior year as well as flock counts. The come one come all level of turkey management isn't working anymore.

The only gripe I have about NR quotas is that some people like myself belong to hunting clubs is 2 states. Quotas here would possibly limit a non resident that pays to hunt land in that state. Quotas on public land I can see, but private would be tough. Just my thoughts....
"Solo hunter"

Happy

I would rather see a tightening of the regs regarding legal means of harvest than a decrease in bag limit. Make it harder to kill them = more turkeys.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gooserbat

I travel a lot and I mostly just shoot one per state...except Missouri which is less than 20 miles from my house.

Now the other question is for instance said state has only 4% public land like Oklahoma.  The wildlife department reduces limits and they effectively affect the nonresident hunting on 4% of the state.  Private land hunting remains near the same. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

g8rvet

Couple of thoughts.

The FL/GA battle over hunting and fishing is well known by Northern and Central Floridians.  GA is better at charging for their resources and FL should do the same.  Don't be more restrictive, be more expensive.  We are one of the few states that does not charge for the privilege of OOS hunters to come here and kill an Osceola.  I would even like to see a special OOS Osceola tag that is priced accordingly.  And then the money used for habitat. 

GA hunters pay about 200 to hunt FL for turkey (for 10 days public land), FL hunters pay 325 to hunt GA for turkey.  I agree with GA, not Florida.  No where else you can kill an Osceola and we should charge for it. 

I go to my local ramp (salt) and there will be 50% plus GA residents.  I don't mind them being here, but they should pay more than residents, by a lot.  Not as a penalty, but as a way to pay for the privilege to fish here. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

saverx

In a few more years, I don't think it will matter. Turkeys are going the way of the quail soon. Mostly there already where I hunt.

Paulmyr

Quote from: g8rvet on April 25, 2023, 12:36:33 PM
Couple of thoughts.

The FL/GA battle over hunting and fishing is well known by Northern and Central Floridians.  GA is better at charging for their resources and FL should do the same.  Don't be more restrictive, be more expensive.  We are one of the few states that does not charge for the privilege of OOS hunters to come here and kill an Osceola.  I would even like to see a special OOS Osceola tag that is priced accordingly.  And then the money used for habitat. 

GA hunters pay about 200 to hunt FL for turkey (for 10 days public land), FL hunters pay 325 to hunt GA for turkey.  I agree with GA, not Florida.  No where else you can kill an Osceola and we should charge for it. 

I go to my local ramp (salt) and there will be 50% plus GA residents.  I don't mind them being here, but they should pay more than residents, by a lot.  Not as a penalty, but as a way to pay for the privilege to fish here.

Ga offer a limited license for non residents where they can buy one day and add additional days there after. Not sure what the cost is. The regs are confusing.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

g8rvet

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 25, 2023, 01:33:38 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on April 25, 2023, 12:36:33 PM
Couple of thoughts.

Ga offer a limited license for non residents where they can buy one day and add additional days there after. Not sure what the cost is. The regs are confusing.

Right, someone misquoted me the cost (like you needed license and big game - i think big game used to be an add on and now is a separate license).  It still stands they are more expensive for a bird that can be killed in North Florida (eastern).  My point about out west hunting where you need to go for a pronghorn and such, many of the states charge accordingly.  So should Florida.  Not crazy, but enough to put money in the state.

EDIT:  I just looked too and it looks like you need Hunting and Big Game, but I think that is no longer the case. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

joey46

Nothing has griped me more than seeing residents paying laughing low license fees and then marching on the State House if a $5.00 increase is proposed.  My now home state FL gives FREE licenses to any  resident over 65.  Everybody here is over 65.  Politics trumps all.  Seriously a one bird limit for a non-res in any state is reasonable IMO.  Arguments both ways I guess.

Tail Feathers

Nebraska limits out of state tags to 10K.  That's tags, not hunters.  You can buy two.  Pretty smart system to limit the hordes seems to me.  At least until PETA starts buying all those tags like the put in for the draw hunts in FL.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!