turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Guess I’m a turkey hunter now!

Started by krm944, April 24, 2023, 08:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krm944

This morning's outing was confirmation that the noises I make with a diaphragm call are just a bit better than two cats fighting in the back alley. My son doesn't start school until 9 am and our hunting ground is  a few miles away, making some wonderful casual before school hunts.

The rain and winds moved in pushed us out of the blind and we headed out for coffee and chocolate milk. On our way to school we drove the back roads and spotted a gobbler on property adjacent to ours. Once I dropped off my Turkey slayer, I had specific instructions- GO GET THAT BIRD!!!!

Driving by, I didn't see a hen with him in the field as the grass was pretty tall, but did see him strutting. I was able to sneak to within 150 yards of him and I set up my cheap foam hen decoy. When I set up I placed the hen decoy in front of me about 15 yards at my 10' o'clock position. He was Gobbling at the 1 or 2 o'clock position. For about 30 minutes I slowly gained his interest. Once I sat down, I made a few yelps to let him know I was there and he gobbled in response. I was careful not to call too much, or too loudly.

I am an extreme novice so I didn't want to be too aggressive or call too much. He knew I was there and where to find me when he was ready. Sometimes he would gobble and I would stay quiet. I'd wait for him to gobble again, then I'd give a soft yelp or cluck to reply.

I was mostly on the gun, it was shouldered, barrel pointed about where I expected him to walk in as I scanned with my eyes in a long period of silence. I spotted him at about 35 yards- I didn't see an obvious beard or red/white/blue head, and didn't see him strutting. I'm 99.9999999999999% it was him, drenched from the rains. He was focused on me and I gave a soft yelp, hoping he would strut or move so that I could be 110% sure before pulling the trigger. He moved behind a tree and slipped off. 5 minutes later he gobbled a couple hundred yards away.

Nothing is ever certain, but I have little doubt, I could have killed him if I wanted- I wasn't  staring at him through the red dot- but pretty close!

In celebration I had a chicken sandwich and replayed the events over and over. A few days ago someone killed a bird just a few hundred yards from where he was. I suspect he has been called before. I wouldn't be surprised if he witnessed another Tom get shot.

One theory I have and I welcome input on, is this bird was 1- A younger bird 2- A submissive bird and that's why he wasn't strutting.

I can't say for certain his gobble was or wasn't a Jake's gobble. Im scouring YouTube now for that lesson.

Thank you all for the help so far.

Paulmyr

Seeing as you couldn't see a beard or see him strutting it's hard to say if he was an adult gobbler or juvenile. There are plenty of Jake's that learn to gobble early and are pretty good at it during the season.

I had situation similar to yours last fri. I shot a nice adult gobbler that I never seen strutt. He was focused on my position for about 10 mins eyeing me up intently from about 35 yds as well. The difference between what I did and you was I never called to him again once I knew he was coming. I'll add that I forgot my facemask in the dryer after washing clothes and he could clearly see me sitting against the tree with very little brush in the way. I needed him to take an few more steps as well to verify a beard. He had some sort of beard rot or breakage where he was missing 3/4's of his beard. From my vantage point it looked like a Jake's beard but the bird seemed to big. When he did finally move to the right I got a profile and seen the rest of the beard and let him have it.

I think the only mistake you might have made was calling to him at 35 yds when you could see him. If you can see him he can see you. Since he was focused or your position as well, calling to him let him pinpoint your exact location. My guess is the reason he moved away was because he seen you as something out of the ordinary and moved away just to be on the safe side.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

krm944

Yes.

I specifically remember debating with myself to call or not to call and in hindsight I agree it was the wrong move.

I have been listening to Jake vs Tom gobbles on YouTube. I'm still not able to age the bird from this morning's encounter.

10 days ago I encountered 3 birds gobbling back at me but not moving to me only 700 yards from where I was today.

Guess where I will be tomorrow morning?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

Quote from: krm944 on April 24, 2023, 08:55:27 PM
Yes.

I specifically remember debating with myself to call or not to call and in hindsight I agree it was the wrong move.

I have been listening to Jake vs Tom gobbles on YouTube. I'm still not able to age the bird from this morning's encounter.

10 days ago I encountered 3 birds gobbling back at me but not moving to me only 700 yards from where I was today.

Guess where I will be tomorrow morning?!!

Good luck!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

worth612000

Most important you seem to have had an enjoyable and memorable hunt. That counts the most in my book.

High plains drifter

I think you learned a lot from that hunt.I don't call,if I know he's looking for me. Sometimes you need to call, to get them in range.

JeffC

Congrats, you had a great hunt, you called in a bird to killable distance, you made right decision. You have already taken a bird, so now you play the game for mature Toms! Good luck with him in the future, look forward to report on when you can see him again.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Greg Massey

NO, you just got some learning experience and if you keep chasing them you will continue to learn from your mistakes and one day you will be successful... That's a turkey hunter... IMO

Gooserbat

Imho your a turkey hunter not a turkey killer. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

zelmo1

You gained valuable lessons on that hunt, congrats. If you got him coming, let him hunt you.  :z-twocents: Z