turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cooler size for transport?

Started by mcw3734, April 24, 2023, 12:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

Been thinking about upgrading my cheap cooler to one of those Yeti-types to better keep a bird on ice for multi-day trips. What size cooler should I get for one bird? What size for two birds?

I would be cutting off the tail and wings, not worried about the trophy, just want to keep the bird chilled for several days in warm weather.

Deputy 14

50 qt holds two 2 birds with ice.

Spitten and drummen

I have a yeti and would not buy another. Maybe I got a lemon but the thing doesn't hold ice more than 24 hours when it's warm outside. I kick myself for wasting the money when my cheap Coleman ALMOST does as well. Just my personal experience.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

birdman24

I have an Orca 75. Two birds, ice, other stuff easy. If I cut off wings, I might be able to do 3 birds.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

g8rvet

Like chilled before you clean it? 

If so, why?  I want the meat off the bone and really chilled ASAP. 

If not, then by the time you get everything edible (I basically carve it like a Christmas turkey) and can fit a whole bird in three gallon size ziplocks. Breast fillets get one each.  Both thighs and legs in the other.  I don't often save the wing meat, but if I do I put it in with the thighs/legs. 

It is your bird and you can do what you want obviously, but I am curious.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Marc

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 24, 2023, 09:36:00 AM
I have a yeti and would not buy another. Maybe I got a lemon but the thing doesn't hold ice more than 24 hours when it's warm outside. I kick myself for wasting the money when my cheap Coleman ALMOST does as well. Just my personal experience.

Yes...  Thank you for posting

Igloo and Coleman both make cheaper versions of roto molded coolers (as well as other brands).

Yeti is a more durable cooler, but once again, there are other brands that compete with Yeti (although the price ranges are similar).  Keeping cool is all about the insulation and a good seal. 

https://www.coolersonsale.com/ultimate-ice-challenge-results/
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Treerooster

Quote from: g8rvet on April 24, 2023, 11:36:46 AM
Like chilled before you clean it? 

If so, why?  I want the meat off the bone and really chilled ASAP. 

If not, then by the time you get everything edible (I basically carve it like a Christmas turkey) and can fit a whole bird in three gallon size ziplocks. Breast fillets get one each.  Both thighs and legs in the other.  I don't often save the wing meat, but if I do I put it in with the thighs/legs. 

It is your bird and you can do what you want obviously, but I am curious.

There are legal requirements in some states in which you have to keep the bird mostly whole. It varies state to state and it's best to ask a local warden, not the main office, what needs to be done. The printed regs can be vague sometimes and getting advice from the guy who writes tickets is best. Keep note of the wardens name and number and if another warden has an issue you can always say who you talked to.

To the OP. Check out RTIC coolers. They are very similar to yeti but much more reasonably priced. One thing those roto molded coolers can do is the lid warping if left in a very hot sun. The seal won't be good and then it won't hold ice very long.

g8rvet

Gotcha tree.  Was not even thinking about traveling.  We deal with that transporting ducks and geese back to the US.  I should have thought of that.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

mcw3734

Quote from: Treerooster on April 24, 2023, 12:47:10 PM
To the OP. Check out RTIC coolers. They are very similar to yeti but much more reasonably priced. One thing those roto molded coolers can do is the lid warping if left in a very hot sun. The seal won't be good and then it won't hold ice very long.

Thanks! Yes, have not settled on a brand yet, just know my smaller cheap cooler needs to be replaced. I have heard good things about RTIC and know there are several comparison videos out there with other brands.

And yes, while I'd love to breast and thigh them out in ziplock bags, a few states out West have some proof of species/sex rules for gamebirds that make it awkward at times. I don't want to fall on the wrong side of interpretation, so I might just gut it out, cut off what I can, and pack the rest of the body in ice.

Dtrkyman

I have a lifetime 77, couple birds and my food when camping fit.  I have a small bag cooler to keep food in seperately, coller inside a cooler lasts for a long time!

WV Ridge Reaper

Don't buy yeti...I'd look at a pelican.

Yeti and trager should be partners..I know cause I own both and they both suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roberthyman14

Rtic is good, Magellan is good  got a buddy who loves pelican.  All are cheaper then yeti.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bwall3220

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 24, 2023, 09:35:57 PM
I have a lifetime 77, couple birds and my food when camping fit.  I have a small bag cooler to keep food in seperately, coller inside a cooler lasts for a long time!

That lifetime 77 is pretty hard to beat!
I have a yeti also but I use the lifetime 9/10, great quality, keeps ice for a while, hard to beat for the money

Greg Massey

It is cheaper to buy a small freezer and put it in the bed of the truck... LOL...  I would buy one of those good thick 5/7 day coolers, it's not like you can't buy ice on the round trip...

AndyN

Coleman Xtreme 70, bottom lined with frozen milk jugs