OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ghost wings

Started by ChesterCopperpot, April 23, 2023, 11:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorguy3

Great story and kool bird!  You will remember that hunt for a very long time.  Where in North Carolina, I'm in North Carolina as well and also hunt public.

Ralph

CAPTJJ

Cool looking tom and great story, well done.

Zobo

You maintained your composure during an unexpected situation. Those are the trying ones that test a hunter's mettle. Congrats
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like an amazing hunt!! Congrats on a beautiful gobbler!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Scary close is quite a thrill.  Congrats on a great bird.  Well played! :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ChesterCopperpot

I don't know that I played it as cool as it sounds I didn't move and I closed my eyes knowing he'd surely bugger if I didn't, but I was coming to absolute pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howieg

Rare trophy for sure !

ChesterCopperpot

The thing I just keep thinking about with this bird, and with lots of birds in the past, is just how amazing their abilities are for spatial memory and to triangulate sound. I mean he started 150yds off with two finger ridges between us and when he got there he was bound and determined to stand exactly where that sound had come from. That just always amazes me. They're just incredible animals.

JeffC

Quote from: g8rvet on April 24, 2023, 12:40:49 PM
Let's see.

Crazy cool story?  Check

Complete trophy bird?  Check

Color phase variation (like once in a lifetime)?  Check

Killed with an antique (model 12 I assume)?  Chec

Well said g8rvet.. Chester great read, only thing better wouldve been you reaching out and grabbing him, catch and release hunting!!  I agree that Tom needs to be displayed in a flying wall mount. Congrats on a great hunt.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

PharmHunter

Awesome hunt and even cooler bird!  Congrats

TRG3

That Winchester Model 12 that you used to take that gobbler is a reflection of my grandfather's nickle steel shotgun of the same model. I used his shotgun with 2 3/4" #6 shot to take a tom a couple of years ago. Being in my 80s, using his shotgun was a real treat and reminded me of days gone by when we used to hunt rabbits and squirrels together. He was the one who kept me interested in the outdoors.

Stickbow98

Gorgeous bird, excellent storytelling. Prime example of the best camo being "DON'T MOVE!!"
Congratulations.  :happy0064:
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

aclawrence

Wow that's an awesome story. Congrats on a super cool experience!

silvestris

Turkeys like that deserve to survive to pass on genes.  Well, we can't always get what we want.  Congrats.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game