OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ghost wings

Started by ChesterCopperpot, April 23, 2023, 11:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Yesterday I got on a bird mid morning. Was gobbling good and I was taking my time trying to slip toward him. Leaves were good and wet so it was quiet. I start getting close and I realize he's topped over the ridge and is now on the backside. So I get where he had been and set up. Called a little and nothing. Cranked up and he answered. I give it some time and he gobbled but sounded a little farther away. Give it some more time and he gobbled to my call but sounded even farther away. Gave it a bit more time and silence so I finally decided to get to the ridge. I stand up and start gathering my things and I hear a putt. Look up and he is at about 60 or 70 looking dead at me. Busted.

So this morning I get back into that same general area and I hear him gobbling on the limb. I get as close as I think I can without spooking him and I set up inside a blowdown. I let him gobble for a while and when it's fly down time I tree talk to him briefly and quietly and he honors the call. I let him gobble some more and I wing flapped but that was it. Time goes on and he's still gobbling. In my mind he has to be on the ground by now but I'm not entirely sure. I'm hunting mountains and he's two finger ridges over. Suddenly the gobbles start seeming farther and farther away. Looking back he's actually still in the tree but has turned around and is gobbling away from me. Regardless I'd started running two calls trying to sound like a few hens. He's still gobbling but not necessarily to my calls. So I call loud on one then crank up the other to cut it off. He hammers. I start fighting purrs. He hammers. Suddenly I see him pitch. He was still in the tree until this moment. The more I get these two calls going the more fired up he seems and I know he's coming. I shut it down completely and go silent.

Over the next few minutes he gobbles a time or two but mostly silence. When he crests the finger ridge in front of me and starts his approach I need him to turn to my left to reach an opening for a shot. That's the natural slope of the drainage and I think he'll take it. No dice. Instead he comes straight toward me. Closer. Closer. Now he's at 10yds. Now he's at 5. Now he's on top of me and he jumps onto the front log of this blowdown that I'm hid inside. I close my eyes. He's within feet hovering over me. I keep my eyes closed and pray he doesn't spook. I can hear him purring. I wait until I hear him jump back down. I barely open my eyes to a squint. He walks to about fifteen yards and is obviously shook up. He's going back the way he's come from and he's still at an angle that offers no shot. He gets beside a tree and holds there. He starts left which is what I need and he gets behind a tree. I've got the gun just on the other side. He needs to take one more step. He doubles back again and eyes me. I'm still barely squinting. He holds there for what seems forever. Finally he commits to a mistake. He goes left. He passes behind the tree and when he comes out the other side I squeeze.

Bird never flopped. Didn't move. When I get to him I notice these wings. Never seen or killed one like this. This is in the mountains of North Carolina on public. Most our birds weigh in around 17lbs. This one was 20lbs even. Those wings are what got me. It's a hunt that'll stick with me for a long, long time. Crazy cool bird, but that whole approach, the coming to a few feet, jumping on a log, me closing my eyes and praying he wouldn't spook. That's what it's all about. Shot him with a hundred year old piece of nickel steel. I could care less if I fill another tag this season. That one will hold me over until next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rakkin6

Great hunt man congratulations. Great story thanks for sharing.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Tom007

Beauty Dave, congrats on a rare trophy!
"Solo hunter"

Turkeybutt

Wow, Wow, Wow, What a hunt!
Yes indeed, that's one you will never forget for sure!
Great looking bird, Congratulations.

Cowboy

Great hunt and gobbler! That right there is what turkey huntin should be about and how the game is played. Beautiful gobbler. 

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Awesome bro, that is a really nice trophy. Z

Muzzy61

Great hunt and a really cool bird.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Greg Massey

Awesome hunt / story and nice gobbler ... I love those wing colors ...  congratulations ....

BBR12

Awesome hunt and bird. I killed a bird with similar wings but not to that extent in KS several years ago. I didn't even notice the wings until I looked back at pictures a few days later. I was kicking myself for not noticing. I would have gotten a cape mount with the wings.

crow

Nicely done, great hunt and cool looking gobbler

HillclimberWV

Yeah i would definitely get that mounted.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

PalmettoRon

Great story. I got nervous reading it! Very cool trophy.

Has anyone ever told you that you write quite well.  ;)

Big Jeremy

One of the cooler looking birds I've ever seen! Congrats.

g8rvet

Let's see.

Crazy cool story?  Check

Complete trophy bird?  Check

Color phase variation (like once in a lifetime)?  Check

Killed with an antique (model 12 I assume)?  Check

I don't see how that could be any better of a hunt and a result.  Awesome and great write up.  I too am a squinter as I have had them see me blink.  Had a hen this weekend at a measured 9 feet!  I was big time squinting.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Mick2394

Great story! Not sure how I would've handled that one, congrats on an awesome bird!
Semper Fi