turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many days?

Started by 2flyfish4, April 19, 2023, 09:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2flyfish4

Just curious how many days do most of yall spend in the woods every spring turkey hunting? This could include preseason scouting and hunting.

Has that number increased or decreased in the past few years?

Now that covid is over and everything is back to normal is it harder for you to find time to get in the woods bc of the increase in work and family activities?

Have you seen a decrease in hunter activity, likely bc of work demands, family demands, and the significant increase in the cost of living?

Kylongspur88

Totally depends and varies with work. Some years I've been lucky to get 3 whole days in the woods. Other years I'll hunt multiple times a week. I just take any opportunity I can get

Tail Feathers

This year I expect about 25 days hunting.  Maybe a bit less if I get one on my home turf on opening weekend.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

3bailey3

Most every day it's not raining the last 30 years.

InmemoryofLMC

I start scouting around the end of February. Always take off the first full week and hunt everyday in off
2 SAMUEL 22:3-4 The God of my rock; in him will I trust

runngun

Our season opener was April 1st.  I hunted 16 of 17 mornings, only missed one because of the weather/rain. But I went to the woods soon as it stopped. Tagged out on April 17th, wishing I could do it all over again. Looking for a youth hunter that I can call for.

Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

rakkin6

Opening weekend was this past weekend here in Tennessee and I got out Saturday. Sunday the weather kept me in. This Saturday I am doing a charity half marathon for St Judes in Nashville. After that though I am going to enjoy my retirement and hit the woods hard. Just finished my Masters Degree in 15 months.

I just retired after 24 years in the Army and my last 17 I spent has a Green Beret in 5th Special Forces Group. We were deployed about 6 months a year every year after 9/11. So sometimes I would miss two whole seasons in a row depending on our deployment schedule. Sometimes I would be home and hit the woods hard.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Greg Massey

This year 2 days of scouting before our season opened on April 15 and I tagged out in 4 days .... All trumpet kills ...

TrackeySauresRex

I'd say about 10/15 days.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Tom007

25-30 days hunting, 15 or so scouting days starting March 1.
"Solo hunter"

ScottTaulbee

Depends on how quickly I find a willing bird, some years I hunt two days and I'm done, last year I hunted around 2 1/2 weeks. This year I'm 5 days in and after work will be on my 6th. The first 4 were dark to dark, then the last 2 days have been evenings after work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs

This year will probably be tough for me, but I typically spend 20-30 hunting I think.  I am working in the NE this year, so the whole Sunday/afternoon closure stuff is going to drop that significantly for me.

Scouting, nearly zero this year, but there are some years I really pour it to it.  Especially when I am home.  I may be out every single morning for 3 weeks around the house.
This year is going to suck!!!

Notsoyoungturk

It varies depending on the hunting, approximately 10-15.  Hopefully, 1 less that mama wanting a divorce.   :)
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Marc

I have a 6 week season... with 6 weekends.

I hunt most days on the weekend, with one of those weekends generally reserved for the family, and Easter Sunday for the family...

If I do not kill a bird on the first couple weekends, I usually take a weekday or two off to hunt the week.

All in all probably 10-15 days on most years.  Last year, my daughter hunted with me a lot and I probably hunted 20 days.

This year, I had work seminars, and family trips planned...  Daughter did/does not want to hunt.  Luckily I tagged out with 3 birds on 4 trips out (which is somewhat unusual for me).  I might still take a friend.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

AndyN

10-15 days and that's for 4-6 birds. Sitting on 12 days with nothing right now so it'll likely be pushing 30 days by the time it's all over.