OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

21 or 24” barrel

Started by RiverRoost, April 18, 2023, 07:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

In my quest for another turkey 12 ga turkey gun I've decided on the benelli m2 but wondering if the 21 or 24" barrel is better or if any difference at all. My idea is I want a lightweight compact 12 ga to possibly take the place of my sx3 longbeard 12 ga due to the weight and length of the sx3 since I already have a 870 20 ga setup if I wanted to go the 20 route some days.

sswv

I actually have two 12ga turkey guns...one with a 21" barrel and one with a 24" barrel both RemChoke. I can't tell any difference in patterns. I've shot them both back to back with same choke and loads and one seems to be as good as the other. 

turkey22

A couple of years ago I purchased a 21 for my 12g Benelli M2 for turkey hunting. During the pattern session with turkey loads I noticed the POI was extremely high and left. I was very disappointed. I returned it to Benelli, and, was informed the 21 was famous for that. Upon my request, and, a hint from them,  they replaced  it with a 24" barrel. May not be the case with another 21, but ?????

RiverRoost

Quote from: turkey22 on April 18, 2023, 08:25:24 PM
A couple of years ago I purchased a 21 for my 12g Benelli M2 for turkey hunting. During the pattern session with turkey loads I noticed the POI was extremely high and left. I was very disappointed. I returned it to Benelli, and, was informed the 21 was famous for that. Upon my request, and, a hint from them,  they replaced  it with a 24" barrel. May not be the case with another 21, but ?????

Interesting. I have a FF4 I'm going to be putting on top so I guess that shouldn't be an issue. 

turkey22

Shouldn't be an issue with FF installed. It was for me because I use the fiber optic sights.

Ranman

I prefer 24". I am 6' and a 24" carries well. It doesn't catch limbs as I walk through the woods, and when I sit with my gun in my lap, it extends just past my boots.
Randy

Greg Massey

Either one 21 or 24 is fine in what you decide to carry... I have both and like them both .....

retrieverman

I've been shooting a Benelli with a 21" barrel since 1995, and I've hunted all kinds of birds, killed deer and pigs, and shot thousands of rounds of ammo on skeet and sporting clay courses, and I've never felt handicapped by the short barrel.

Gman

I'll be using my 24" Benelli Montefeltro (20 bore) this coming Saturday. (PA's opening day) I also have a 26" bbl for this shotgun, but I did all of my patterning with the 24" and a Trulock .565 tube made for Winchester Longbeard XR. I really don't think that the barrel length between 21" vs 24" really matters too much other than personal preference.

strum

Ill take the shorter barrel every time.

mrclif

I bought a 18.5" 940 mossberg a few weeks ago after season had started here due to a failure on my primary gun. I wouldn't trade it for any benelli, berretta, etc I've owned. It's short relatively light and recoil is less than my lighter 20 ga's with turkey loads. If it continues to hold up it has been my favorite turkey gun I've had in 30plus years of chasing em.

strum

Quote from: mrclif on April 27, 2023, 02:13:57 PM
I bought a 18.5" 940 mossberg a few weeks ago after season had started here due to a failure on my primary gun. I wouldn't trade it for any benelli, berretta, etc I've owned. It's short relatively light and recoil is less than my lighter 20 ga's with turkey loads. If it continues to hold up it has been my favorite turkey gun I've had in 30plus years of chasing em.

Will a Fast Fire 3 or vortex mount directly in that cutout?

RiverRoost

Ok thanks. Guess I'll go with the 21! I figured a 21" with a compact stock sboukd give me the perfect small stature 12 gauge.

mrclif

Quote from: strum on April 27, 2023, 02:38:57 PM
Quote from: mrclif on April 27, 2023, 02:13:57 PM

Will a Fast Fire 3 or vortex mount directly in that cutout?
Neither, I went with Holosun 507K. The C series Holosun won't fit either ask me how I know haha. If I remember length can't exceed 1.6" to fit RMR cut out. I can't believe other manufactures havent done this yet. 

CarolinaKat

Another secondary consideration in the discussion is would you also use your turkey gun for home defense? I have a 21" 870 SP turkey gun which is great for hunting. But most of the time it has a IC choke with #1 buckshot loaded under the bed. But 24" would also do the job.