OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Second Kids First Bird

Started by nebgoosehunter, April 18, 2023, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebgoosehunter

What another beautiful morning chasing turkeys! My second oldest Joshua was up to bat first after striking out last season. My oldest got his first bird three years ago, but he was still ok letting his brother try and get one before he tried to get one this season. We were set up in between two roosts, both about 3/10ths of a mile away. The north roost was quite big and they just went up on a hill and strutted around and hung out. I couldn't see the south group but it sounded like a few gobblers but they shut up right after fly down. My eyes were peeled on the north group for quite some time as a pair of males (I couldn't tell what they were from so far away) were starting to slowly make their way our direction. I happened to look behind us and there in the wheat about 150 yards was a gorgeous tom lit up in the sun and three hens feeding our way quite quickly. Joshua started shaking instantly when he saw them walking our way. He never gobbled but followed all three hens from behind, strutting about the whole way. He was absolutely beautiful as he was coming in, that will always be burned in my mind. They made their way through the cedar rows we were set up in only about 5 yards away. The hens went right to the decoys but the tom strayed out wide by himself and strutted, way close still though at a mere 12 yards. He was able to rest his gun on the blind window so he wouldn't get tired and as soon as he turned away I had him ready the gun with safety off. He turned back our way and I tried to get him to stick his head up by calling but Joshua just went ahead and blasted him haha. He was so happy and excited and his brother was so happy for him which was neat. We did go and execute a perfect sneak on the north group and had a single tom at 15 yards but Benjamin didn't pull the trigger for some reason and he ran off. There were another two toms at 25-30 yards that I told him to pick one out and shoot but his window to shoot was so small due the the flock being alerted. We backed out and we will try again another day with him.

guesswho

Now that's some smiles.   Congrats to all, well done.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tom007

Marc

Kid is going to tear his lips smiling.  That is one HAPPY kid!

Great job to both of you. :turkey2:
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

Congratulations to the youngster. Great smile.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeybutt

Congratulations to all of you! I know you are all proud and rightfully so!

jhoward11

Well that's a good memory! Congrats.

Lone Star Eastern

Can't wait to make these memories. Congrats to y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffC

Congratulations Joshua!  :happy0064: Beautiful Tom, thanks for sharing Dad, great write up and pictures.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Zobo

Congratulations, well done, beautiful bird!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

High plains drifter

fishr64

Congratulations to the young man on taking a beautiful gobbler!! Kudos to his brother for letting him have first chance too. Sounds and looks like a great hunt.

joey46

Jroddc

turkey harvester

Outstanding!!! congrats young man and dad!!
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.