turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you only took one decoy?

Started by Bluesman, April 16, 2023, 12:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluesman

I'm new to this.  I have two Avian X. A lookout hen and a Jake.   I'm tired of lugging two decoys around.  I'm 68 yo and between my chair, the gun and a decoy bag, and all the crap in my vest, I feel like a pack mule.  So I'm ditching the chair, and going with the  pad on my Primos vest and I feel like I need to ditch a decoy.  I did manage to kill a Jake.  The second turkey in my life. What decoy should I ditch? What say you? 

WildTigerTrout

I travel light and hunt woods. I very seldom hunt near any fields so I don't carry any decoys.  I make every effort to set up in such a way that when I see the gobbler he is in range.   In your case I would keep the hen and ditch the jake.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

davisd9

What are you hunting? Fields? Woods? How do you hunt? Move a lot? Sit in one spot?
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

2eagles

I've got AvianX lookout hen, AvianX feeder hen and AvianX jake. I need to go light because I had total knee replacement 3 weeks ago. If I take a decoy, it will be my lookout hen.

Gooserbat

I don't use decoys 95% off the time and I kill plenty of birds. I only will use one if I'm hunting a field edge for a long set. Otherwise I go light and fast.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Notsoyoungturk

We have a lot of fields so I will use decoys there.  I usually use a Jake over a laydown hen.  If I were to only choose one, I would take a lookout hen.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Zobo

Easy, upright hen, safer too. I've never used a male decoy ever but I have used hen decoy's successfully, especially during the teach the children years
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Zobo

Oh and by the way, I'd ditch both decoys before the chair!!!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Flatsnbay

Take the hen and ditch the Jake.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

guesswho

If I used decoys, it would depend on where Inthought they were in their breeding cycle.   Early through mid cycle, hen for sure.  Late, I'd go with a Jake.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

I agree, hen decoy first of the season and Jake decoy later ... Congratulations on your first Jake turkey and Welcome to the forum...

Bluesman

Quote from: davisd9 on April 16, 2023, 12:58:16 PM
What are you hunting? Fields? Woods? How do you hunt? Move a lot? Sit in one spot?
Hard Woods, and pine thickets which are adjacent to fields.  I like to set my decoys up in fields and hide in the woods.  But I also like going deeper into the woods.  I also have a blow up decoy called the "pocket hen".  But I can't find it in my horde of hunting crap in my garage.  I was thinking if I find it, that be easier.  Also thinking maybe the "funky chicken" decoy. 

nativeks

If I am carrying just one it is a jake 100% of the time. Mr. Longbeard knows there is a hen around. He has heard her calling. Thus I have never felt a need to carry just a hen.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Bluesman

Quote from: davisd9 on April 16, 2023, 12:58:16 PM
Hard Woods, and pine thickets which are adjacent to fields.  I like to set my decoys up in fields and hide in the woods.  But I also like going deeper into the woods.  I also have a blow up decoy called the "pocket hen".  But I can't find it in my horde of hunting crap in my garage.  I was thinking if I find it, that be easier.  Also thinking maybe the "funky chicken" decoy. 

budtripp

I use a deke about 50/50, just because its the open midwest around here. Lots of cropfields and pastureland. When I hunt big timber public, I don't use them at all. When I do, I leave it at my dsd upright hen. Carry less=better enjoyment for me. I used to think I had to wear a vest full of bull**** but anymore I stuff a couple pot calls in my shirt pocket and have a leather case with 3 or 4 mouth calls and that's it. My vote is carry the lone hen.