turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester SXP defender pump?

Started by old3toe, April 14, 2023, 09:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old3toe

I don't see or hear alot about the sxp pump guns but I ran into one called the defender. It's marketed as a home defense, camping, do all shotgun. It's the first time I've gotten a close look at any of winchesters new series of pump guns and I was very impressed by it. Of course my first thoughts were awesome little turkey gun but it could be used for about anything really. It comes with a plain 18" barrel that's threaded for invector plus chokes. The one I handled was Olive Drab green and I love the small corn cob style ribbed pump handle. Similar to the older mossberg 835's but I think this one is even smaller. It shoulders and feels really good too. Oh and it's factory D&T'd for optics. Has anyone already bought one of these and patterned it with turkey chokes and loads? The defender comes in black, tan, camo tan, or OD green.

2eagles

So it feels good and they're priced right. Buy the gun already!  :lol:

old3toe

I want to. I've already bought more guns than I probably needed to in the last six months though. That's the only reason I haven't already gotten one yet. Haha If err when I do I'll post on here.

Fredmngs

I have an sxp for turkey hunting and the trigger is the most horrid thing ever. There's not much you can do with it to make it better either. Kinda just gotta deal With it. Pattern wise I have a Sumtoy .562 choke and with the tss 9s it patterns unbelievable! If it had a better trigger that gun would be hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old3toe

Thanks for letting me know. I've yet to shoot one of the newer winchester pumps but I don't like a heavy trigger on anything. I can deal with it being a little above average but not the kind of heavy where you take the safety off and squeeze... squeeze..... and squeeze.... then put the safety back on and check to make sure everything is OK. I know alot of shotguns have spring kits available to swap out and lighten the pull but it's a shame if they're not available for these.

Bearhunter247

I have the sxp turkey (non pistol grip version) and it's the best shooting turkey gun I own with a Carlson hevi shot choke .664 it's put 141 longbeard #4s in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old3toe

That's a good pattern with #4 shot. Those things hit hard! I used to shoot the 3.5" longbeard #4's in my 835. From what I can tell those who own the win SXP guns really like them.

knightrider

Quote from: old3toe on April 25, 2023, 07:41:31 PM
   Thanks for letting me know. I've yet to shoot one of the newer winchester pumps but I don't like a heavy trigger on anything. I can deal with it being a little above average but not the kind of heavy where you take the safety off and squeeze... squeeze..... and squeeze.... then put the safety back on and check to make sure everything is OK. I know alot of shotguns have spring kits available to swap out and lighten the pull but it's a shame if they're not available for these.
you don't squeeze a shotgun trigger, you pull it???? just messing with ya we know what ya mean

briton

I have the sxp defender flat dark earth 12ga and it shoots LBxr awesome. Carlson .655. Pics are at the top of the 12ga pattern section. Surprised me that it shot that well. I bought it for $225 after rebate.

badwolf

Just ordered one of those, 18" barrel. Sportsmans outdoors

old3toe

Dang that's a good price. I didn't realize they were offering a rebate on them. I did just check online and buds is showing the 20ga dark earth or tan for $309.99. They have been $347.99 for a while. It's great to hear that the 12ga version is patterning so well! If I get one it'll be my all purpose knock around shotgun for small game and predator duty full time. I have chickens and there's nothing better to grab than a short barreled scatter gun when you need something in a hurry.

old3toe

I checked on the rebate and winchester is offering the $50 rebate on any SXP shotgun until September 17th this year.