turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trying Not to Get Shot

Started by Flatsnbay, April 14, 2023, 04:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

I've mentioned before that I carry a cheap blaze orange slip on vest in the cargo pocket of my pants. If I see someone approaching, vest comes out before I do anything else.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

grayfox

The number one thing I do is try to stay away from other hunters. If I see a vehicle nearby I go somewhere else.

Spurs Up

Quote from: grayfox on April 15, 2023, 03:54:58 PM
The number one thing I do is try to stay away from other hunters. If I see a vehicle nearby I go somewhere else.

Good strategy. If even one-half the people who claim they do this actually did it, hunting on public would not only be safer, it would be much more enjoyable for all.

dzsmith

Like some have mentioned . I sharpie  my logos out . I don't use decoys, very rare if I do . And hen only . When I see a person ... I don't move , I just let them go . To talk about safety ... I had a bird shot at directly in front me in another state this past weekend. The individual saw where I was parked . Pulled down , walked in parallel to me through the woods . He did setup in front of me and kill the bird ...I knew he was close , however I did not know he had actually gotten in front of me within 100 yards ..... he knew what he was doing and it isn't like I would have shot him.... But still .... This particular area is going to get someone killed. Luckily I got me a bird and don't ever have to visit there again. The property is setup with far too many access points to essentially the same spot. I see this on wmas often .......
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

quavers59

Keep a Orange Hat in your Vest or Daypack.

ScottTaulbee

Today was our opener, on my local public land at 12:45  there were 15 trucks at one pull off on about 800 acres. There were also 6 trucks on 200 acres and 4 trucks on 150 acres. I drove two counties over to some National forest land and there were 6 trucks there, drove another two counties over and there were trucks or cars at every pull off except one that was at a swamp with a bunch of blown down pines, I got back in there and ended up working a bird, I had him 100 yards strutting and I hear leaves to my left crunching, thinking another had slipped in, I looked over to see two men walking 50 yards from me straight towards the gobbler, I sat there and let them pass and then slipped out and went back to the truck. I drove back to the county I originally started in to a tract of public that I've only ever seen rabbit hunters on the 8 years I've hunted it. The 3 pull offs had 3 out of state trucks and as I was driving up the road leaving, a car from New York whipped in one of them. I left and got supper with my wife and kids. I ain't chancing getting shot with that many out of staters doing the slam for the gram or whatever they do. We'll try again tomorrow in the mountains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sswv

been at this for a LONG time and have had 2 close encounters with what I like to refer to as 'idiots'. I've had two personal friends shot during the spring season, again 'idiots'. I do not "NEED" to kill a gobbler to show off my pecking order but I sure do love to hunt them. if only these again, 'idiots' could ever understand that you just can't sneak up on the sound of a hen turkey calling and walk away with a dead gobbler. and trying to short stand another hunter on purpose well, again 'idiots'.

y'all just be safe and have great season and remember....if you get him inside 30 yards you've already beat him on his home turf. you actually don't have to kill him to walk away the victor.

Sir-diealot

I remember a few years ago they had the blaze orange leaves that you could hand from a tree to let people know you were there, if I were still hunting public land I am sure I would have used those or a couple pieces of blaze orange trail tape around me but above.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on April 15, 2023, 08:13:26 PM
Today was our opener, on my local public land at 12:45  there were 15 trucks at one pull off on about 800 acres. There were also 6 trucks on 200 acres and 4 trucks on 150 acres. I drove two counties over to some National forest land and there were 6 trucks there, drove another two counties over and there were trucks or cars at every pull off except one that was at a swamp with a bunch of blown down pines, I got back in there and ended up working a bird, I had him 100 yards strutting and I hear leaves to my left crunching, thinking another had slipped in, I looked over to see two men walking 50 yards from me straight towards the gobbler, I sat there and let them pass and then slipped out and went back to the truck. I drove back to the county I originally started in to a tract of public that I've only ever seen rabbit hunters on the 8 years I've hunted it. The 3 pull offs had 3 out of state trucks and as I was driving up the road leaving, a car from New York whipped in one of them. I left and got supper with my wife and kids. I ain't chancing getting shot with that many out of staters doing the slam for the gram or whatever they do. We'll try again tomorrow in the mountains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow Scott. If I had to deal with that mess, I'd probably hang it up. Unreal how things changed in our sport. I'm glad I got to experience the good old days for sure. Be safe, good luck to ya......

eggshell

I agree Tom, I'd just quit and go fishing. After 52 years of hunting  gobblers I don't need to take any risk to kill another one. I might miss it but I'd still quit and go home. even working in the garden is more fun than dodging idiots. I know that may sound funny and you might question my passion for the sport, but Passion mixed with high risk only puts me in the foolish category....Life is better upright and healthy. A dad-blame bird ain't worth giving up either. I guess in my old age passion has given way to peace and wisdom. If someone would have told me, as a newbie teenager,  how many wonderful experiences and how many gobblers I would kill in the next 50 years I would have thought they were delusional. I consider my turkey hunting career as an overwhelming success and blessing. So my strategy is stay the frick away from the crowds or go home....

grayfox

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on April 15, 2023, 08:13:26 PM

Wow Scott, I guess I just thought it was bad where I hunt. I feel for you man.

roberthyman14

Lots of idiots and no etiquette.  Hunted a draw hunt this weekend.  Only 10 permits.   Got in early Saturday morning and parked.  I'm on a hill that has a river at the bottom about 900 yards.  About 20 minutes till roost gobbling here comes a truck. I tap my brakes to let him know I was in there. He keeps coming. So I tap more then hold the brake, as he keeps coming I put my window down to talk to him,  he just drives right by.  Pissed me off and I was about to show my  and make sure neither of us killed the bird I roosted the night before.   Before I did something he would regret I calmed down and pulled out of my spot.  I know where the bird was and had a perfect approach for him.  But these dipshits were eithier gonna blow him off the roost or be shooting up hill towards me.  I didnt want to be on Instagram n youtube so I let them have it.   Didnt see them the rest of the weekend. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Prospector

Decoys are not a part of my arsenal,. I don't approach any turkey noise but so close; ie No Stalking. Try to hunt away from crowds. If you beat me there I'm moving on. Hunt public during the week when woods are quietest.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Prospector

In the future block the road. Make them at least stop behind you. When you get ready to exit Then park it to the side. They can still come in later But that could happen anyway. Doesn't have to be a confrontation- I'm probably not going to throw hands with you, but you are durn sure going to look me in the eye while you screw up my hunt. First there counts to me even on public- I left a 400+ acre parcel just this week because another hunter beat me to it. If we continue to just allow this without any resistance the jerks win again. It's personal to me
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

BDeal

Good Lord Scott! What state are you in?