turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trying Not to Get Shot

Started by Flatsnbay, April 14, 2023, 04:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatsnbay

All the posts about people or buddies getting shot accidentally while turkey hunting got me thinking, what type of safety things do you do specially on public lands while turkey hunting to help you not to get accidentally shot by another hunter?

For me, I do a couple of things. I will put up orange flagging with the words "Caution Turkey Hunter Ahead" on a road or trail leading to the area of my blind. I remove the flagging when I'm walking out of the woods.

Secondly, I'm very careful of the placement of my Jake decoy. I don't want someone spotting it and shooting towards me.

Thirdly, while walking in the woods I fold my decoys up and cover them up under my arm. I might consider putting them in an orange mesh bag for next season.

Fourthly, I try to get away from people and not hunt in the crowd.

Any other ideas?

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Turkeybutt

Some very good ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Tom007

Good thoughts. I carry a Turkey wing in my vest that sticks out about 2 inches, just the tips. I painted them so you won't shoot at them. Public is public, you just have to hope everyone you encounter realizes gun handling responsibilities. We all know there are some that do not.....

Greg Massey

BBR12

I'm not a big decoy user period but No jake or gobbler decoy period.

I'm kinda a freak about No red, white, or blue on my clothing. No matter how small of a patch, logo or writing I'm taking a sharpie to it.

Zobo

I always carry a blaze orange cap in my vest, when I shoot a bird I put it on my head
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Spitten and drummen

I just talk to myself very loudly the whole time I'm hunting. People hear me so I shouldn't get shot by mistaken identity however someone may shoot me on purpose. I like Hawaiian clothing for camo. People can see me way off. I still kill my limit. I think these things confuse the birds and they think it's no way this clown is trying to kill me.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gooserbat

If you shoot first you shouldn't have much to worry about.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ChesterCopperpot

I was set up on a bird two years ago and had two hunters come in on me. I started slapping the ground because I didn't want to bugger the bird. About got shot then and decided right quick I'll never move like that again. I'll speak to them loudly and hold still. Ain't a bird in the world worth it. Most times when someone gets shot it's with someone shooting at movement. Buddy that got shot this past week, he got shot when he moved. In his case he'd already yelled multiple times and the old man didn't hear him. When he shot, though, he shot at movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverBuck

I haven't entertained bringing a decoy on public land in a very long time.. the nail in that coffin was when my best friend had his hen decoy shot in South Carolina years ago.

Kylongspur88

I don't use decoys very often but very rarely on public. If I do it's later in the season or mid week when fewer people are out and only a hen, never a jake. I'll put on a blaze orange cap if packing a bird out. I don't turkey call if I see another hunter but will play the UK fight song on my crow call to let them know I'm in there. I'll also keep my back to a tree that'll cover my vitals while calling and always carry a tourniquet in my pack or vest. Last is my epi pen and/or Benadryl for stings because I'm just lucky to be allergic to yellow jackets and wasps

Meleagris gallopavo

I guess I shouldn't be amazed about folks shooting at decoys and movement, but every time I read it, it still amazes me.  I'm fortunate enough that I've never had to hunt public land, but hats off to you guys that are successful and alive to tell the tale. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

crow

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 14, 2023, 06:47:59 PM
I just talk to myself very loudly the whole time I'm hunting. People hear me so I shouldn't get shot by mistaken identity however someone may shoot me on purpose. I like Hawaiian clothing for camp. People can see me way off. I still kill my limit. I think these things confuse the birds and they think it's no way this clown is trying to kill me.

I do all of this when I shop Walmart, so far so good

Flatsnbay

Some great ideas. Keep em coming.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

old3toe

Most of the time on public ground I don't even go into the woods if people are parked even remotely close to where I want to hunt. It sucks but I just don't like taking the chance. Many mornings I drive around never leave the truck. Then go get breakfast and come back around 8:30-9:00 am. Most are gone by then and the birds are still there.

I never use decoys anymore but would never use them on public ground period these days. I had my b-mobile shot at one year at a popular military base. A guy came in behind me and though he was way out of range of the decoy he took a shot at it over my left shoulder. When I started hollering and carrying on he ran like hell. I also don't carry a wing. One year on a youth hunt my son and I were set up on a gobbler and a guy and kid came slipping up a gas line towards us about 30 yards away. I was able to get their attention and waved them off. Or so I thought. He waved  at me then started back the way he came but then set up down the hill we were facing on the edge to our left!! With the kid! In easy shotgun maiming range between us and used every call he had trying to call the bird away from us. In my opinion it's one of the stupidest things I've ever witnessed while turkey hunting! You don't teach kids to do stuff like this.

Orange tape or flagging doesn't do much good where I hunt. It just gives them a trail to follow where I should be so they can come in and set up beside me. Like going to a deer stand in the morning. After all I have local plates so I'm supposed to know the lay of the land and know what the local birds do here. Sad but true.