Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommended wing-shooting 20G semi autos?

Started by 357MAGNOLE, April 14, 2023, 10:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Title kind of says it, looking for suggestions on a good shooting, reliable 20G option for clays, doves, waterfowl.

Looking at the A400, M2, SBE3, Affinity 3

Trying to keep below $2K. But this is gonna be a buy once cry once hopefully functioning for a very long time option.

I've read some reports from every make and model on issues cycling 20G so if anything should be avoided or moved to the top of my list please let me know. This will not serve as a turkey gun as my 870 is perfect for me.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

ScottTaulbee

The best I've had is cheap by today's standards, Weatherby element upland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mullet dredge

Big, big fan of my 20ga M2 for all things wingshooting. 26" barrel. Havent pulled my 12ga(also an M2) out of the safe in many years.

28roper

Affinity and don't look back. I have an Affinity 2 and that sucker has never missed a beat.  Brother and I both had and have since sold M2's, both patterned terribly off the assembly line and required retrofitting to get even close to right...pretty insane to have to do that for a $1400 gun.

FLGobstopper

tad1

For wing shooting, inertia guns probably ok, Ive always wanted an M2, just love the feel of the Benelli.  I bought a 1st gen Franchi affinity, the trigger wasn't great, improved it dramatically with a Taran tactical spring kit.  The gun didn't cycle certain brand shells even after the recommended break in period.  Relegated the gun to turkey duty with a red dot, took a couple gobblers with it but really never liked the grip configuration for me personally though, something about the length of pull or the way the grip sits in my hand.  That gun is forward weighted a bit though which is likely a good thing for wing shooting.
For higher volume or clay shooting, the gas guns are hard to beat.  Softer shooting and for shooting a lot I would go gas all day.  The berettas are awesome although they are pricey so probably not the best value.  Wakeman reviewed the Weatherby SA-08 20 and really liked it.  Seems like a good value.
If money were no object, Id probably get a beretta a400. Or an M2 if hunting more than shooting.
Value hunting Id look for an older A390 or 391 Beretta and shoot the thing like I stole it!
  JT

howl

A300 Ultima should be on your list as well.

BDeal

I recently bought an Affinity 3 turkey so the gun is not for wing shooting. I have owned a lot of guns over the years but none have  disappointed more than this absolute POS. I would never buy or recommend a Franchi to anyone. The first one had major fit and finish issues. Paint scratched off all over the place and bubbles in the finish. I could barely fit it together as there was an issue with the forend. I figured it was a fluke an sent it back for another. The second one had the same forend issue as well as major issues with jamming, misfeeding, cycling, and misfires. It was sent to their gunsmith and they replaced the forend. It works better now but still jams and misfires at times and the trigger is absolute garbage. I ordered replacement springs for the trigger and likely will be getting rid of the gun after the season.

Tail Feathers

Love wing shooting with my SX 3 20 ga.  Around $950.  Probably the softest shooting shotgun in 20 ga out there.  Gas operated and points well.  Plenty of adjustment shims for getting it where you want.  The trigger was heavy but my smith fixed it up nice for about $60.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

357MAGNOLE

How are yall finding the ammo in comparison to 12 gauge in availabilithy. This is also part of my decision, I went into the local sportsmans warehouse today and they had 20 boxes of 12 for every box of 20G.  They literally had more turkey options then sporting or waterfowl loads in 20g. Maybe it was just that shop, idk.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Tail Feathers

I find them at wal mart and academy.  Ordering well before the season is a great way too.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

howl

They're equally available. There have been times when one or the other was more available. If you're not going to carry the gun around a lot, there's not much reason to get a 20 over a 12.

Kylongspur88

Your gonna pay big $$ but if I were looking to get into a good 20 for doves and clays etc I'd be on the look out for an older Remington 1100. Outside of a semi auto id look at a Benelli or beretta over and under. Me personally, my 1187 which used to be my primary turkey gun is now my dove and clay gun

nativeks

Used Beretta 390 20 ga if you can find one. They dont come up for sale often. In my gun safe I have 2 20 ga 390s, an Affinity, an A300 Ultima, and I owned a montefeltro. The 390s are the guns I could never part with. They simply work.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

runngun

I definitely would choose Beretta A400 EXCEL 30 inch barrel in 12 gauge.  Now in a 20 gauge I would choose to get a Beretta 390 or 391. I have bought both and they are great and they have been flawless.  Definitely worth the money.  They are work horses!!!

Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.