turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old Guns

Started by ScottTaulbee, April 11, 2023, 10:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

I have a early 1940's wards westernfield 520A (Steven's) with a poly choke and 2 3/4" chamber that I picked up a few years ago at a local pawn shop for Pennies. It was painted Camo and I stripped all the paint off and removed as much surface rust as possible. I think I'm gonna use it this year along with nothing but a trumpet and see if I can't get one with it. Does anyone else hunt with old guns?. Let's see them!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

Great find an a cool shoty. You and a trumpet with that boom stick and them KillaH Crocks and yer in business.  :funnyturkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 11, 2023, 11:06:46 AM
Great find an a cool shoty. You and a trumpet with that boom stick and them KillaH Crocks and yer in business.  :funnyturkey:
It's a cool old gun. What I'm assuming is the original owners name and address are engraved in to it. I think I'm gonna get back to simpler hunting this year. A trumpet call and this old gun with 2 3/4" chamber and some heavy game loads #6's and leave it at that.

sswv

that's a super cool old shotgun. I carried a 37 Red Letter 16ga on my first gobbler hunt in 1974. I actually carried a Remington side hammer 16ga a couple times. those old guns are a true treasure. I'll be looking forward to a picture of a gobbler laying across that jewel.

DocHolliday

Late 1920's- early 1930's AH Fox A grade 16ga and "L. B. Sambo" (ABW/ivory Farmer Woodwind).

The old ones have "soul". You can feel it in your hands. It's almost like they "appreciate" being back out in the field.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: DocHolliday on April 11, 2023, 07:59:41 PM
Late 1920's- early 1930's AH Fox A grade 16ga and "L. B. Sambo" (ABW/ivory Farmer Woodwind).

The old ones have "soul". You can feel it in your hands. It's almost like they "appreciate" being back out in the field.
Now that's what I'm talking about!!. Beautiful shotgun and call. I agree with you 100%. Since I was a kid and saw my papaw and uncle with their auto 5's I always wanted one, it became a dream gun of mine. I've had the opportunity of purchasing a pair of Belgium Browning Auto 5's. One is a 1958 and the other is a 1964. Both are Magnum 12's. And if the things weren't 10 pounds unloaded I'd never carry anything else. I use the 1964 for waterfowl, trap shooting, sporting clays, dove hunting, and I've killed a gobbler or two with it. I'd imagine it sounds crazy but me and that 1964 just click. Ever since I first held it, it was like a old friend, an extension of me. I'm good for a 95 average on trap with it, 87 average on sporting clays, and rarely miss a dove or duck. You can feel the pride in craftsmanship and I always wonder what the original owner used the old guns for every time I carry one, and wonder about how every nick, dent, and ding got there and what the story was.

ChesterCopperpot

1927 nickel steel Model 12 20ga.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 11, 2023, 08:28:14 PM

It sure is hard to beat those model 12's!.

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 11, 2023, 08:28:14 PM

Your killing me with this beauty! Wow
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

WildTigerTrout

I own a 1959 Winchester Model 12 Field Grade 12 gauge 28" barrel, fixed modified choke.  I even have some vintage Rem. and Win. 2 3/4" Magnum 1 1/2oz. shotshells to use in it.  I have hunted pheasants with it but no turkeys yet although I am considering it. They certainly don't make them like that anymore.  What great quality and craftsmanship!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Model 37

Great thread. I carry a 20 gauge Winchester Model 37. I used a trumpet for the first time this year and killed a great bird Monday afternoon. I have got to say I'm hooked on that trumpet now and old school shotguns.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: Model 37 on April 13, 2023, 10:05:50 AM
Great thread. I carry a 20 gauge Winchester Model 37. I used a trumpet for the first time this year and killed a great bird Monday afternoon. I have got to say I'm hooked on that trumpet now and old school shotguns.
Fixed choke? If so, what is it fixed at?

Model 37

Full. On most model 37's it just says choke but they are full chokes. The gun I carry is marked full and it's an early model 37. I am not very computer literate about posting pictures or I would post one.

Quote from: Model 37 on April 13, 2023, 10:21:53 AM
Full. On most model 37's it just says choke but they are full chokes. The gun I carry is marked full and it's an early model 37. I am not very computer literate about posting pictures or I would post one.
"Choke" is an old term for Full like Model 37 says. Half Choke = Modified,  Quarter Choke = IC