turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One to try

Started by compton30, April 11, 2023, 08:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compton30

Been experimenting with some new combos and found one I really like.

.004 yellow
.003 natural
.0025 proph

Stretch .175 on a Feather Ridge jig. Very slight smile, just getting the wrinkles out. Cut of choice.

I think I'm gonna work to try and get a little more front end a little more easily but it's a good start. Let me know what you think

runngun

Awesome, thanks for sharing this!! Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Strutbuster91

I just tried out your combo. It sounds damn good! I did a few different cuts on it. I tried, batwing, combo, ghost, split V. What brand latex are you using?

GobbleNut

:icon_thumright:  I'm a big fan of using the .004 yellow (Pioneer) as the primary reed.  Most all of the calls I end up using anymore start with it.  As long as I stick with the yellow as the top reed, and use thinner material (.003 and/or proph) for the secondary reeds, I can usually find a turkey in the call somewhere with cut modifications.

I am sure I have used your combination at some point in time, Ben, but I will be trying it soon.  My problem is that I don't use a tension meter so I am just guessing at the stretch.  In terms of "inches", what would you guess you are stretching the latex? 

An interesting note (for me, at least) is that I have constructed the same call design out of other .004 material (blue, red, natural) as the top reed and rarely get the same sound quality (at least that which I prefer) out of it.  The yellow batch, for whatever reason, just sounds better to me. 

compton30

Quote from: Strutbuster91 on April 11, 2023, 05:46:32 PM
I just tried out your combo. It sounds damn good! I did a few different cuts on it. I tried, batwing, combo, ghost, split V. What brand latex are you using?

I get my stuff from Ron at Pioneer. I did order some proph and purple4 from Brookside though. Way more expensive but I didn't feel like cutting condoms and Pioneer doesn't have purple4. They're quite a bit more expensive than Pioneer. I'm always interested in different colors and sizes of latex though.

Strutbuster91

GobbleNut and Compton30 have you guys tried any of the .004 yellow from dead end calls? Thats what I've been using and it seems pretty good. I'm going to need more soon so I'll get a batch from pioneer and see if there is any difference.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Strutbuster91 on April 12, 2023, 11:19:40 AM
GobbleNut and Compton30 have you guys tried any of the .004 yellow from dead end calls? Thats what I've been using and it seems pretty good. I'm going to need more soon so I'll get a batch from pioneer and see if there is any difference.

I haven't tried any other yellow .004 from any source other than Pioneer.  It would be interesting to hear if anybody thinks there is a difference in the latex from multiple suppliers. 

Strutbuster91

[/quote]

I haven't tried any other yellow .004 from any source other than Pioneer.  It would be interesting to hear if anybody thinks there is a difference in the latex from multiple suppliers.
[/quote]

Yes I'd be interested to see also. I've been using dead end .004 with pioneer. 003 black and pioneer proph that I've had a year or 2. That combo has been making some sweet sounding calls. Alot of the calls I've been making have been a mix of the 2 suppliers. I'm trying to get all my recipes/ stretches worked back out since I lost my paper I had them all wrote down on. I've been struggling on my double reed, which doesn't make sense since I have triple and single pretty much figured back out

compton30

I have some Pioneer yellow4 and some dead end yellow4. I actually got the Dead End stuff off a member here. I like it. Idk if it's any better or worse than the stuff you get from Pioneer other than if seems to have less creasing and wrinkles, which is attractive to my eye and does instill confidence that a call is going to sound right.

Ive never done any recordings on calls made with one or the other and then compared them side by side. I like both!

compton30

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 12, 2023, 08:32:51 AM
:icon_thumright:  I'm a big fan of using the .004 yellow (Pioneer) as the primary reed.  Most all of the calls I end up using anymore start with it.  As long as I stick with the yellow as the top reed, and use thinner material (.003 and/or proph) for the secondary reeds, I can usually find a turkey in the call somewhere with cut modifications.

I am sure I have used your combination at some point in time, Ben, but I will be trying it soon.  My problem is that I don't use a tension meter so I am just guessing at the stretch.  In terms of "inches", what would you guess you are stretching the latex? 

An interesting note (for me, at least) is that I have constructed the same call design out of other .004 material (blue, red, natural) as the top reed and rarely get the same sound quality (at least that which I prefer) out of it.  The yellow batch, for whatever reason, just sounds better to me.

Jim, I'm with you in terms of using the Yellow4 as the primary reed. Just seems like they always have a turkey in them no matter how hard I try and screw them up! Though I will say that gray4 is really growing on me.

As far as tension and the .175, I think if you stretched your latex to around 3/16" you'd be on the higher side of the tension for the call but still in the right ballpark. I'm not sure what you normally stretch your calls at. I think most people are around a quarter inch and Ive been told that the tension I use is less than what a lot of people use to make their calls.

tlewis81

dead end is awesome to deal with in general and a heckuva lot cheaper than brookside....and lots of color options....proph cut as well

compton30

Quote from: tlewis81 on April 18, 2023, 09:40:32 PM
dead end is awesome to deal with in general and a heckuva lot cheaper than brookside....and lots of color options....proph cut as well

What's the best way to go about contacting them? I'm pretty stocked at the moment but probably won't be able to help myself haha

Strutbuster91

1What's the best way to go about contacting them? I'm pretty stocked at the moment but probably won't be able to help myself haha
[/quote]
I've just always called them and placed my order over the phone. I called them the other day, all latex and proph under 1000 pieces is .13 a piece. Their # is 336-973-0878

tlewis81

yup look up dead end game calls on google or facebook and give em a call they are very nice (336) 973-0878 is the number

compton30

Thanks!

Honestly we should probably have a thread pinned with all of the resources for getting materials as it is a fairly common question newcomers have.