turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Coming in from behind

Started by strum, April 08, 2023, 01:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

I almost always set up with the sun to my rear. It just makes sense to be on the shady side of the tree. The problem is, I cant count the times I had gobblers sneak in from the rear. Even if they start out in front they usually circle me. Could it be the turkeys don't want that sun in their eyes either and circle so that they have a clearer view of the hen they looking for? I'm pretty certain this is the case. Which brings me to the dilemma. Im thinking maybe I need to start setting up with the sun more to my left but still behind so I can keep an eye that way. Or go with what I know and point away from it hopping for the best. What's you guys' thoughts?. Surly I'm not the only one who is jinxed with being busted from a rear sneaker. By the way im starting to hate em  lol

Paulmyr

In the intro to the Turkey Hunter Podcast there's a guy who swears by this. I heard the actual podcast but can't remember who it was. If he can help it he's setting up on the west in the morning and the east side in the evening. Says it's a blinding thing and turkeys don't like to travel directly into the sun.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Kylongspur88

Easterns are notorious for circling regardless of sun position. If I'm with someone we might set up on opposite sides of the tree. If I'm by myself and he's circling to my off side I'll take the shot with my off hand. If he's behind me to where I can't shoot I'll sit and wait. It's all part of the fun and aggravation that is turkey hunting

Nathan_Wiles

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 08, 2023, 02:05:50 PM
In the intro to the Turkey Hunter Podcast there's a guy who swears by this. I heard the actual podcast but can't remember who it was. If he can help it he's setting up on the west in the morning and the east side in the evening. Says it's a blinding thing and turkeys don't like to travel directly into the sun.
Will Primos, he may know a couple things about a turkey.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Happy

Sun direction is down the list a good ways in my list of requirements when setting up on a turkey.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Old Timer

I know one thing for certain when they circle and come in from behind it is one exciting hunt!

Flatsnbay

Never considered sun direction but it makes sense. Let us know if you see any difference.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

strum

Quote from: Old Timer on April 08, 2023, 05:49:30 PM
I know one thing for certain when they circle and come in from behind it is one exciting hunt!

Exciting but frustrating too.  Its so easy to get busted. I mean if their gobbling, great. But sneaking in silent is tough. You never know they're there until you scratch your nose. lol  I have people all the time tell me turkeys are dumb.  We see them in our yard or in a field ect. easy to kill.
I tell them . Yeah right try to call one into shotgun range and then let me know whose the dumb one.

Bedge7767

I didn't know what to think when I read the title.
Jim

Lone Star Eastern

I've hear they don't like walking/looking into the sun. Just the morning, I rearranged my setup, because I felt the sun was illuminating me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strum

I had one come in a few days ago behind and to my right. He was at least 5 yards maybe closer when I moved, and he busted me. I should have heard him walking but my old ears didn't get it . leaves were very dry and thick. I just got my Tetra custom shields and although I haven't hunted with them, I think in the same scenario I'll hear him. But that's another topic.

Marc

After reading the title, I am relieved that this is about turkey hunting, and not an account of a visit to the proctologist.

As to the post, I agree with Kylongspur88...  I hunt Rios, and they too like to circle around.

I have watched a few turkey hunting videos, and figure I am doing something wrong, cause seemingly in every video, those birds come straight in from the direction expected...  Every time.  Me, they almost never appear where I would expect them to.

I have watched birds coming in, get behind a knoll or terrain in front of me, and suddenly they are behind me!

It is the frustration that keeps us coming back, and the thrill of somehow turning and getting the shot off successfully that makes it so much fun!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Meleagris gallopavo

I try to set up the best I can based on where I think a turkey will come from.  But I never assume the bird won't come in from any direction.  I prefer not to face the sun in the morning as I've had a couple of times the sun blinding me created unnecessary anxiety. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Tom007

I primarily hunt mountainous Eastern's. I ALWAYS set up with the sun at my back. I can count on one hand how many Tom's have circled behind me. The ones that have, I just waited them out to get my shot opportunity. I hunt with optics on my Turkey guns, sun beaming in on a scope or Red Dot lens spells disaster in my book. Before I make any call while trolling, I have a spot picked out, ready to jump in to. I rather have that sun behind me, just my preference.....

shaman

I think I'm going to reframe this question a bit.

First off, I have about as much luck taking birds up-sun vs. down-sun.  It has a lot to do with where I hunt.   Nearly all of my setups are such that I'm calling turkeys from a narrow treeline separating two fields.  Birds come from all directions. The pastures on either side of the treeline.   

I normally set up in the dark with my back to a large tree and the sun in my face.  However, I may shift that position during the course of the morning. 

What I find is that on sunny days, when turkeys are coming in from up-sun, they seem to have a hard time seeing past the tall grass out in front of me.  My guess is that they have a hard time picking out detail in the shadow.   From down-sun, they have a hard time picking me up, because I'm in the shadow of the tree. 

On cloudy days,  the birds have a much better view past the tall grass.  It is much easier for the birds to pick me out without the bright light.

As far as birds circling me, it happens, but not all that often.   What I get are basically two patterns and they're both fairly linear.  At flydown, a gobbler may pop down off the roost and make a beeline straight for me.   At mid-morning, when most of my kills occur, the gobs are out following hens feeding in the fields.  They're making their way down the field in an orderly manner,  I get a gob interested and he strays from the hens and comes down the treeline to check me out.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer