turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old single shot guns

Started by Lone Star Eastern, April 07, 2023, 08:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Eastern

Has anyone had experience hunting with either of these guns, or something similar? I know it'll take patterning to know for sure, but what's y'all's guess on which would be more appropriate for turkey hunting?

1) Winchester 37A Youth 410 - Fixed Full Choke
2) New England Firearms 20 ga - Fixed Mod Choke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runngun

With TSS either one of these will absolutely kill turkeys all day long.  I would be finding some TSS, and some cardboard.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: runngun on April 07, 2023, 08:08:57 AM
With TSS either one of these will absolutely kill turkeys all day long.  I would be finding some TSS, and some cardboard.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
That's been my thinking, so good to hear you second that. There may already be one, but I wish I knew if a company that would sell me a mixed box of 2-3 of each gauge to determine which is more appropriate before fully investing into one over the other.

owlhoot

Quote from: ETXhunter93 on April 07, 2023, 08:05:18 AM
Has anyone had experience hunting with either of these guns, or something similar? I know it'll take patterning to know for sure, but what's y'all's guess on which would be more appropriate for turkey hunting?

From my experience with fixed choked single shots the Federal TSS is a good place to start.
Alot better than Apex Ninja or Browning anyway.
Winchester 37A 20 gauge shot Federal TSS right there with many extended choke guns we tried with the same shells.
Yildez .410 fixed choke did much better with federal TSS also.

Lone Star Eastern

Pattern testing aside... (let's say a buddy offered you the two for the morning, and you just had to pick one to go with) would you take your chances on a modified 20, or a full 410?

Sir-diealot

Get some shoulder pads too, those single shots kick like mules.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

ChesterCopperpot

Either is a 25yd and under gun in my opinion. I'd personally shoot the 20ga. My wife carried an old Pardner SBI fixed modified 20ga of mine for years and we kept her at 25 and under with Apex #9s. I patterned piles of shells through that gun and regardless it was a 25yd and under gun. She shot one last year with it at about 30-32yds and it looked like the old boy had stepped on an IED when I broke him down. It's choked now. Limit your shots to 25yd and under and it will be perfectly adequate.

Wife's Pardner SBI 20ga project
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=17578&share_tid=112553&url=http%3A%2F%2Foldgobbler%2Ecom%2FForum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D112553&share_type=t&link_source=app

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 08, 2023, 02:49:24 PM
Either is a 25yd and under gun in my opinion. I'd personally shoot the 20ga. My wife carried an old Pardner SBI fixed modified 20ga of mine for years and we kept her at 25 and under with Apex #9s. I patterned piles of shells through that gun and regardless it was a 25yd and under gun. She shot one last year with it at about 30-32yds and it looked like the old boy had stepped on an IED when I broke him down. It's choked now. Limit your shots to 25yd and under and it will be perfectly adequate.

Wife's Pardner SBI 20ga project
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=17578&share_tid=112553&url=http%3A%2F%2Foldgobbler%2Ecom%2FForum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D112553&share_type=t&link_source=app

Excellent info!

owlhoot

Quote from: ETXhunter93 on April 07, 2023, 08:05:18 AM

Only one way to really know,  pattern your gun with your shells. 
Every one is different. You never know.
My Yildez .410 with Federal TSS 9's from first year production shot 95+ in the 10" circle at 40 yards.
My Winchester 37A 20 gauge fixed full with Federal first reduced recoil loads in TSS 9's does 200 +in the 10" at 40 yards.. Not 25 yard guns in my opinion. But you have to check yours.
Another thing to try is the .410 with #10 TSS loads a few sell. More pellets.

crow

I hunt an older 20ga single thats choked xfull, that gun not being choked as tight as turkey chokes are patterns TSS 8's as good as 9's, I hunt with 1 5/8ths oz of 8's with a TSS #7 shell slid under a rubber band on the forum for a fast follow up shot

With your gun being choked modified and if this is for you and your not worried about recoil for a kid I would try 1 5/8oz of 8's