News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why do we allow this to continue?

Started by soILstrutter, April 06, 2023, 12:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pavo Grande

Speaking of reaping....

If you are on social media, such as YouTube and Facebook, you will notice how many young teenagers and new hunters (young and old), are inquiring about reaping methods and reaper decoy setups.  In my opinion, it should be outlawed..... from a fair chase perspective and how it could potentially affect a localized group of turkeys. But, also how unbelievably unsafe it is. It goes against EVERYTHING hunter's education teaches.... Don't wear red, don't do anything to identify yourself as the game being hunted. And yet, here we are. It has been glorified by the hunting industry "celebrities" on YouTube and social media.  I say shame on them for promoting to impressionable young kids and adults in the pursuit of marketing themselves and their products. And we shouldn't be labeled as "anti-hunter" hunters for questioning it.   Just my opinion. 

Hook hanger

Why some people would put themselves  in that position is beyond me. It goes against turkey hunting safety rule #1 don't look like the target especially on public ground. I've seen some of these reaping decoys that a taxidermist was making and I garentee alot of you guys would think its the real Mccoy inside of 20yds. Its just accidents waiting to happen. It wouldn't bother me one bit to outlaw all male decoys. The original aspect of spring season is to imitate a hen to lure a gobbler in.

Marc

Quote from: Hook hanger on April 07, 2023, 07:54:24 PM
Why some people would put themselves  in that position is beyond me. It goes against turkey hunting safety rule #1 don't look like the target especially on public ground. I've seen some of these reaping decoys that a taxidermist was making and I garentee alot of you guys would think its the real Mccoy inside of 20yds. Its just accidents waiting to happen. It wouldn't bother me one bit to outlaw all male decoys. The original aspect of spring season is to imitate a hen to lure a gobbler in.

You probably would not get male decoys outlawed  (pretty tough to field hunt without decoys)...  But write your representatives about reaping.  Get friends and family that agree with you to do so otherwise.  Get on state forums and encourage others to write...

Make sure it is understood that these letters are coming from turkey hunters...  Mention safety as the foremost concern and ethics secondary.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

runngun

I think that it was about 2 years ago we had a very extensive thread about fanning-Reaping, and it actually got very heated.  Almost to the point of locking up the thread and deleting it.  I made a post about the fanner or Reaper, winding up with a face full of TSS. I stated that TSS ain't lead and would definitely hurt more, to the point of being Fatal. 
I really regret that this happened, there's 2 families and friends that are both being affected.
I wonder how many of us, if we were slipping through the woods to set up, walked upon a strutting turkey, even with a lite breeze caused the decoy to "dance." How many of us would actually admit that they pointed their shotgun at the strutting turkey mentioned above?
And discover 30 seconds later that it's a decoy/reaper. A lot can go wrong in a matter of seconds!!!

Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

BDeal

I am 100% against reaping in every way and it should be outlawed country wide on public and private lands. That said- I have not found any info to indicate that reaping was part of this incident.

eggshell

I suspect that if the state wildlife agencies took a vote of all turkey hunters for or against reaping that the vote would be in favor of keeping reaping legal. I suspect Old Gobbler forum members are the exception among turkey hunters as a whole. My experience is that the ethical standards here are much  higher than in the general hunting public. It is a sign of the times when ethics and morals are self determined. Not to derail the thread, but the bible warned of such a time as this, hunting is not exempt from social decline. I am pretty certain if i took a poll of my closest friends, even though I only know one that has ever reaped a bird once, that most of them would vote to keep it legal. I only know 3 guys that are purest turkey hunters that insist birds are called to the gun. Most want to do it the traditional way, but they will take birds off ambushes and other means. We live in a small world here on Old Gobbler, but that is why I am here, I like the neighbors.

zelmo1

What he said, lol. Well said Eggshell  :funnyturkey: Z

Tom007

In my world, Turkey hunting is a zero to 35 yard game. I am very confident that most hunters, especially this group on here have vision that is good enough to identify a real-life Turkey from a fake. Obviously it's easy to Monday-morning quarterback while looking back at an accident. Pulling the trigger on any firearm is a decision that can't be reversed, taken back. These decisions can't be taken lightly no matter the situation, if they are not, tragedies/accidents will happen for sure. Unlike other sports, hunting involves weapons that can injure or kill someone. There is a whole added level of individual and social responsibility that must be understood by all that choose to participate. Accidents happen in everyday life, it's unfortunate that those we encounter in our fraternity have mostly tragic outcomes.....be safe

Prospector

It's sad, it's terrible but (unfortunately) there are those willing to do it. Whatever. If you could get our legislators off their duffs, I'd much rather see them focus their efforts on subjects like habitat management, predator control etc. You know, stuff that will help the Wild Turkey... let the "Turkey" behind the fan make his own decision....
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

GobbleNut

If I were to bet on it, I would bet that the number of hunters that get shot "reaping" is no higher than 1) the number of people that get shot either by hunters shooting at decoys with the decoying hunter beyond, or 2) get shot sitting and calling and someone sneaks in and takes a "sound shot". 

Having said that, all three of those are demonstrably less dangerous than hunters carelessly handling loaded firearms and either shooting themselves or others around them while hunting.  Yet, in the topic of "when do you load your gun" in another post, most on here stated they walk around the woods with a loaded gun,...even when they are not actively engaged with a turkey,...and even worse, when they are with someone else.  Sorry fellers, but you can't have it both ways,...if you want to eliminate dangerous activities in the woods, start with the things that are at the top of the list first! 

I will qualify my position above by stating that I am not in favor of reaping, or otherwise trying to resemble a live turkey while hunting.  That position includes decoys, fans, wings, and any other turkey part one might want to justify using. If you want to outlaw one thing, then outlaw them all.  Not only will it eliminate a few accidents every year related to "turkey resemblance", it will undoubtedly help save the lives of a lot of gobblers in those areas where saving a few of their lives might make a difference in the well-being of the local turkey populations.

But if you really want to make a difference in terms of hunting accidents across the country, take a hard look at the overwhelmingly real causes of hunting accidents,....and adjust your own personal actions accordingly. 

Old Gobbler

I have literally thrown off or denied half a dozen scoot and shoot type fanning companies from Oldgobbler in the last 10 years this is why
My condolences to the victim ...might possibly be two victims the shooter could be a victim also because of the plethora of ultra realistic products designed to resemble legal game , THAT MOUNT DIRECTLY TO THE BARREL OF THE GUN OR DESIGNED TO BE HAND HELD

Stay with me here on this ..long read

Here is what can and will possibly happen, in fact as sure as the sun rising out of the east each morning , behind every tree is a lawyer   ...you can't see him ..but trust me they will appear like mosquitos once they smell the opportunity to draw blood ..they will present a gross negligence case against any company that makes a fanning that is involved with a shooting , present it before 12 jurors and that company will get smoked for millions of dollars .... They will sue the shooter , take his home property..sue his home owners insurance...then if there is a fanning product involved in any one of these shootings ...the SHOOTER will sue the victim ...the victims estate and the company (if any involved) of the fanning product for gross negligence ..there is a myriad of combinations of lawsuits even .. manslaughter charges (I've seen it ) depending on the circumstances of each case ..and there will be more

There's a bunch of companies selling these products a BIG ONE IN MISSISSIPPI AND ANOTHER IN LOUISIANA..I'm flat @#$ing amazed that somewhere someone in their legal departments didn't hold up a red flag

Now as far as holding up a turkey fan , if your that stupid nothing I or anyone else can say can fix that kind of stupid , I'm typing this behind a computer screen ..I will gladly tell it to your face ..that you are STUPID

In the end the lawyers will clean up this mess ..if it's painful enough $$ the people involved in profiting from it will change course
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

GobbleNut

Great point, Shannon.  I believe you are absolutely correct that it is just a matter of time before we see exactly what you predict.  We'll see how it pans out and what the repercussions are...   :icon_thumright:

quavers59

OutLaw Lazy Reaping in ALL STATES! There are more Turkey Hunters Afield every Spring since 2020 and the Chinese Virus.

eggshell

You are not wrong Shannon. Let me again just state something from experience. If you are not killed then you will most likely recover from your physical wounds before you settle all the legal and financial issues. Having been shot in a hunting accident, I can tell you first hand that insurance companies will deny payments, lawyers will sue and people will blame you for standing still in the wrong spot. Absolutely everyone loses in a hunting accident. I was literally standing still and doing nothing in the world to provoke a shot. Most of my wounds had literally healed before I settled all the financial and legal issues and if your thinking insurance and the shooter paid for it all, you would be dead wrong. I payed thousands of dollars out of my own pocket and was even blamed for the accident, remember I was standing still in the open. Two of the lowest forms of life on this planet (solely my opinion) are lawyers and insurance adjusters. So, think reeaall hard before  you take that chance shot....EVERYONE LOSES IN A HUNTING INCIDENT.
Oh one more thing. I never sued anyone and I still had to hire a lawyer to defend my interest and protect my finances from being seized by insurance companies and health providers. I got zero compensation for, damages, pain and suffering. It's an ugly mess you want no part of. My shooter was uninsured and had little to take, but me I had my life savings, home and much more to lose and buddy they came for it.

Old Gobbler

I know several instances where lawsuits were hurdled revolving with hunting

One ...guy guy fell out of a tree stand on a lease ... lease didn't have insurance...guess what lease president/holder lost his house ..the state Georgia

Two ..this involves me , deer hunter walked into the still hunt area in the fall and shot at the   sound of a turkey call from fall turkey hunters behind...killing a close family member , manslaughter charges were pressed and convicted against the shooter ...my father actually got the shooter out of doing jail time in a incredible act of decency on his part , you can't take a mans home away from him in Florida ...so your home owners policy has to pick up the tab...and they did it was well into the 6 digit range 30 years ago money ...that went towards his children, school etc...that's as far as I feel like talking about it ... If you want to know why I'm always cautious with people being safe , and liability with anything..that's why

I have 2 other friends of mine , who were shot turkey hunting and left for dead ...they survived luckily

Decoys ...they make good crash test dummies ..I put one out in the field AWAY from me ...if any idiot shoots ...it's just a few holes a few cuss words ...the world is safer

A special message to the companies with clamp on barrel decoys , scoot and shoot , fanning , or reaping devices ...we live in a world where anyone can be hauled into court...look at Sandy Hook and Remington ..ANYONE ...look you can bring a former president of the United States' of America ...you can  be cleaned out ....you will be dragged into court and your company, investments etc  will be yanked away by 12 jurors , simply discontinue the product..the few bucks your making isn't worth it ... discontinue it ...do your self a big favor

I've seen it ...

It's not a matter of if ...but WHEN they get a wrongful death suit against them
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon