turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommendation for a Scratchbox?

Started by BDeal, April 06, 2023, 11:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

I have never used a scratchbox or even laid eyes on one in person but would like to try one. Any suggestions for a solid model for a beginner?

Thank You!

deathfoot

I bought my first one this year from S&S custom calls. He's a member here and makes a solid scratch box. I'm just getting the hang of it but it sounds really great.

grayfox

X2 on Al & Josh from S&S Custom Calls. They make an awesome scratch box. Another one I like is the Red Cedar Scratchbox by Grand Slam Turkey Calls.

BDeal

Quote from: grayfox on April 06, 2023, 01:36:03 PM
X2 on Al & Josh from S&S Custom Calls. They make an awesome scratch box. Another one I like is the Red Cedar Scratchbox by Grand Slam Turkey Calls.

Any suggestions regarding specific woods combinations?

Thank You!

2eagles

S&S scratch boxes are killers. I've got two that a new hunting buddy of mine fell in love with, so I made sure he got one the next time Al had some available. His season starts next week and I'm betting that he gets his bird.

TauntoHawk

I've killed a lot of birds with SS scratchers pretty much always have one on me. Holly and butternut are my favorite soundboards and purple heart for striker the box wood doesn't matter as much as soundboard and striker to me.

L&L greg longuillo makes a cedar 2 sider that Ive probably killed a dozen birds with too, for $20 call that's an economical call right there I run that with walnut or cedar strikers

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

REBELYELL

3bailey3

grayfox

Quote from: BDeal on April 06, 2023, 01:48:57 PM

Thank You!

Bdeal I honestly don't remember for sure. I know one was holley, another was walnut & another I believe was butternut. All his scratch boxes are killers. Just take your pick.

Beards and Hooks

S&S, Ernie Fetters, Josh Farley, L&L, Richard Shively, Greg Cooley,  Lonnie Mabry, and Mississippi Scratchbox are a few I really like off the top of my head (sure I'm missing a few).

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

richard black

SS Calls. Ebony body and holly soundboard with a holly striker.

turkey stew

Any SSCustom scratchbox runs extremely well! I have a bunch with every soundboard and style they make.

wareagle22

Thank You!

Padauk/Butternut and Red Heart/Holly in the old style are proven killers for me.   

paboxcall

Quote from: Beards and Hooks on April 06, 2023, 09:22:23 PM
S&S, Ernie Fetters, Josh Farley, L&L, Richard Shively, Greg Cooley,  Lonnie Mabry, and Mississippi Scratchbox are a few I really like off the top of my head (sure I'm missing a few).

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Add Shadetree to that list.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

mountainhunter1

Thank You!

It is not the box itself that is critical as it is just basically a sound chamber. It is the soundboard on the back that matters most. I would start with either a cedar or holly soundboard. Black limba and popular and butternut are also no slouch and you may prefer the hen in them as well. 
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13