turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Quiet birds

Started by 2flyfish4, April 05, 2023, 10:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

I thought I would come back to this post and let yall know what happened to me today. 

I went to a spot this morning where I know a big Tom has been strutting in a road literally every day. I just don't know what time of day. Set up before day break, nothing. Hours go by, and nothing. I bailed and said I would come back later in the day. I went to a few other spots, but not a peep all day.  Its also windy, gusting 15-20 MPH all day with constant 10 mph winds.

Sometime around 1 I go to head back to the road. I park the truck, come around the corner, and about 300-400 yards down the road I see a bird. I glassed it and it was indeed a Tom. So now I am fixated on this bird while walking in the ditch trying to keep myself hidden and work towards his "strut zone" where he has been every day.

I get over there and belly-craw out the ditch to set up a decoy in the road and right about the time I start sliding back into the ditch to get some concealment and start calling a Tom flys up about 15 yards in front of me, across the road. It was literally THE BIRD I was set out to get today.  The other one just happened to be in the area walking the roads.  So not only did I get busted, but when he flew up I stepped out on the road completely forgetting the other bird just long enough to look up and see him hauling  down the road. 

They whopped me today.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

TrackeySauresRex

357^^ Ouch!

I'd say a small percentage. When in Roam do what they do. A few years back I had a great season. But the birds had lock jaw. I knew they were in the area, not great roost activity and would only gobble a few times on the ground. That last hour many have creeped in and it was boom time.

Almost anyone can kill a bird who's gobbling.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

deadbuck

Been turkey hunting almost 40 years and have never had a silent Tom come in. Guess i need to sit still longer to check this box off.

Dtrkyman

I find it particularly satifying killing those tight lipped birds, of course I like the game and those loud mouth birds are the best but also generally the easiest to kill!

I have "called" in plenty of silent birds sitting on sign when things are slow!  Calling them where they already want to be is the key.

GobbleNut

Quote from: deadbuck on April 11, 2023, 09:56:20 AM
Been turkey hunting almost 40 years and have never had a silent Tom come in. Guess i need to sit still longer to check this box off.

It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 years for me.  My theory has always been (and, hopefully, always will be...that is, if I can manage it) that there is a gobbler just over the next ridge that wants to have a conversation with me.  Of course, I have almost always hunted where there was a "next ridge" to go over to find out.  I fully understand that there are a lot of folks that do not have that luxury and must adapt.  After so many years of going at it the way I have, and then having on a few occasions needed to do that "adapting", I have found that I am not very good at it. 

On the other hand, I am quickly reaching that age where the virtues of planting myself in one spot and waiting for a gobbler to show up are becoming increasingly more appealing.  ...Hmmm,...imagine that!   ;D

Tom007

On days when they are tight lipped and just not vocal, I'll do my few hours of trolling, then go to my favorite ares of past experiences, set up and randomly, sparingly, and quietly call. I know this sounds boring, but I'll tell you that I have been successful doing this more times than not. A definite tactic on slow days that I'll employ every season for sure..

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 11, 2023, 10:20:04 AM
On the other hand, I am quickly reaching that age where the virtues of planting myself in one spot and waiting for a gobbler to show up are becoming increasingly more appealing.  ...Hmmm,...imagine that!   ;D

I am finding that sitting under a tree in the shade for a bit after a long hike is becoming far more appealing (especially when it works as a successful strategy)...  Little bit of calling, watch and listen...  I call it patience and wisdom with age...  Others call it becoming lazy with age. ::)
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Paulmyr

If I sit to long the eyes get heavy. I can't sleep sitting up. I'll curl up at the base of the tree to catch nap. Problem is the phantom gobbles keep me awake.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Gooserbat

Honestly not many.  Most talk to me about getting shot before they get shot.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Cut N Run

Not many silent birds for me either.  I had one a little over 20 years ago that had responded to my calls, but was clearly following a hen away from the property, just giving me courtesy gobbles.  I'd had a late night the night before because some hunting buddies had come into town & we got a bit too carried away with the adult beverages.  Anyway, I was set up in a great spot less than 100 yards from the property line he'd crossed, so I decided to rest my eyes a bit.  A little over an hour from my last call, he'd come in silent right behind the tree I was on and cut loose a gobble that liked to blown the cap off my head.  It shook me up, though my insides jumped more than my outsides.  He ended up walking past the tree and I shot him inside 20 yards.  Technically, he was only silent for an hour right before the end.

Had another gobbler that came in on a windy day from behind me about 6-7 years ago.  The woods were dry as corn flakes, but I was hunting a powerline cut sowed in clover with grass edges.  He came right down the shady side of the powerlines in the grass, hugging the side of the woods I was on. Never gobbled, spit, or drummed the first time that I ever heard. Even though I looked around good before I moved, he was less than 20 feet from me (!) when I eased up to relieve myself.  He didn't putt, but he sure wasn't waiting around to find out what I was.  So close, but so far away.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Cut N Run on April 12, 2023, 08:23:02 AM
  I'd had a late night the night before because some hunting buddies had come into town & we got a bit too carried away with the adult beverages.
Jim

Ahh yes, Jim....The old "adult beverage with the buddies" excuse.  I've used it a few times myself over the years!   ;D :angel9:

grayfox

I'd say about about 30%.

Spitten and drummen

I have killed quiet a few that only drumming gave them away. A very long time ago I figured out what spitten and drummen sounded like. Once I did , my dead bird count went up significantly. No telling how many slipped on by me when I was young and not picking up on that sound. Sometimes I can hear it 100 yards away.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Cut N Run

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 12, 2023, 08:47:08 AM
Quote from: Cut N Run on April 12, 2023, 08:23:02 AM
  I'd had a late night the night before because some hunting buddies had come into town & we got a bit too carried away with the adult beverages.
Jim

Ahh yes, Jim....The old "adult beverage with the buddies" excuse.  I've used it a few times myself over the years!   ;D :angel9:

Yeah, well, you know. There wasn't much runnin' & gunnin' happening for me that morning. ...Sometimes the anticipation of the hunt mixed with good friends & such gets away with you.  Glad to hear I'm not alone, didn't think I was.  It probably made me a more relaxed, patient hunter that day if nothing else.  Sure did pay off though.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 12, 2023, 04:37:57 PM
I have killed quiet a few that only drumming gave them away. A very long time ago I figured out what spitten and drummen sounded like. Once I did , my dead bird count went up significantly. No telling how many slipped on by me when I was young and not picking up on that sound. Sometimes I can hear it 100 yards away.
I still don't know what it sounds like. I've had a few Infront of me and the spitting part is noticeable but I guess I can't hear the drumming.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson