OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

West Texas/Brakettville

Started by Alan in NC, April 05, 2023, 11:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan in NC

All: I will be hunting the Brakettville area next week. The long term weather forecast is for temps in the 80's and wind to gusts of 30. This will be my 1st trip to the area. Does anyone have experience in and around Brakettville? Tips for hunting in windy conditions there? Thanks in advance. Alan.

timberjack86

Hunt every minute possibly and hopefully success will come you way!! Good luck!!

nativeks

Rios don't gaf about wind. They are in it every day. I like box calls in windy conditions. Enjoy it.

RND1983

Alan-who are you hunting with in Bracketville? I was just in the area April 1-4.

Alan in NC

RND 1983: We will be hunting with John Boerschig. This is my 1st trip to the area. We leave North Carolina Monday and return Friday. Our Opening Day here in NC this morning looks to be a washout. Hopefully Texas will be more weather friendly. Any info you can provide is appreciated. Thanks. Alan.

Alan in NC

nativeks: Thanks for the tip. I have a box and a pretty loud crystal pot if I need to compete with the wind. Alan.

Tail Feathers

Afternoon and evening hunts for Rios can be very productive.  Don't skip them.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Alan in NC

Tail Feathers: Thanks for the reply. We plan on mornings, a mid day break, and then back at it
for the afternoon/evenings. After 3 days we should be tired! Alan.

RND1983

Quote from: Alan in NC on April 08, 2023, 12:57:10 AM
RND 1983: We will be hunting with John Boerschig. This is my 1st trip to the area. We leave North Carolina Monday and return Friday. Our Opening Day here in NC this morning looks to be a washout. Hopefully Texas will be more weather friendly. Any info you can provide is appreciated. Thanks. Alan.

Good luck! I hunted that area and it was pretty void of birds. The outfitter I hunted through kept putting us on a ranch that I firmly believe had one bird on it and I killed him the first 5 minutes of the first afternoon. The next 2 days we never saw a track, never heard a gobble, etc. The outfitter kept taking us there morning and afternoon. There was no offer to go elsewhere. Hopefully you have some birds to keep you in the game.

Alan in NC

RND 1983: Hopefully we'll see a few more birds, but at least you got one. Congratulations. I'll give a report when I get back. Alan.

TonyTurk

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 08, 2023, 01:00:38 PM
Afternoon and evening hunts for Rios can be very productive.  Don't skip them.
This is excellent advice.  I was hunting Monday in northwest Texas.  The temperature was 95 degrees.  I called in 2 longbeards at 3:45 pm.  The heat and wind didn't seem to bother them.

Bad news:  I missed an easy shot.  Good news is I got another opportunity at 10:30 Tuesday morning and redeemed myself!