OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Henry Single Shot 20ga.

Started by NCSWAMPFOX, April 04, 2023, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCSWAMPFOX

Has anyone tried henry single shot 20ga? for past 25 years i've always had a H&R or NEF single 20 around for kids turkey gun and back up for me in truck in case of gun failure. going to hunt old one this weekend on opening day for sentimental reasons. i always liked simplicity of single shot and friend just built one on henry platform but he lives in texas so can't put my hands on it. 

NCSWAMPFOX

william at sumtoy and other qualified smiths can thread barrel for you

TScottW99

Quote from: NCSWAMPFOX on April 04, 2023, 12:50:53 PM
william at sumtoy and other qualified smiths can thread barrel for you

William would be my go to.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Glades

I have also been playing with the idea of a single shot youth Henry. But a few bad things about it is:
1) The barrel is LONG at 26". Need it cut and rethreaded
2) There NO RIB. Need to drill and tap barrel for a reflex
3) The gun is HEAVY. I don't think I am willing to carry a 7 pound gun in 2023 with lighter options available).

NCSWAMPFOX

glades, thanks for reply, with that i think my search for other singles just broadened. anyone want to part with NEF/H&R 20 ga. ? let me know

mountainhunter1

Have you looked at the Midland backpacker? If I recall correctly, it is barely 4.5 pounds and is around 34 or so inches long with the shorter barrel. Bwhana posted some patterns on the 20 gauge pattern board of his and it is shooting lights out. Would be a joy to carry that through the woods, - not just because of the weight, but that short length would miss all the branches and vines that catch most longer barrels. Good luck with the efforts to put together a new gun for the woods.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

NCSWAMPFOX

thanks fo reply, have midland 410 backpacker for years. its my wifes around the house snake/trespasser gun. i'll check out 20