OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new 301 20ga (modifications complete)

Started by sswv, April 01, 2023, 05:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswv

yesterday I bought a Stevens 301T 20ga with the red dot from a fellow and just didn't like it after I got it home. the bead setting up on that ramp just didn't set good with me so this morning I took it to a local gun show and sold it. I come home and started calling around until I found a 301 20ga compact in a shop about 30 minutes away so the wife and I made the trip. a DQ stop was in her plan ahead of time. anyway, I got it home and have to say I really like it. the bead actually sets right on the barrel like it's supposed to. it come with a modified choke so I'll be upgrading. I'll be shooting LB XR's in either #5 or #6 shot. my question is...has anyone dialed one in for Longbeards and if so what choke range seemed to work the best. I'm getting ready to give the barrel a good scrubbing and start looking for a choke or three.

ShortMagFan

Please keep me updated on what you learn. I've about decided to pick up one of these for my next turkey gun project

I'd try some TSS but that's just me

Good luck with it

sswv

I sure will SMF. a friend has a couple chokes I'm gonna try next week but I'd like to have 3 or 4 to try the same day and that would give me a good idea. I'm thinking I'll find the right choke between .560 and .575   I know my 21" 870 20ga does extremely well with a .562 and a .572 but just can't get a smooth pattern with a .565 or a .568   

sswv

I've heard that the triggers are all over the board on these shotguns so I got my trigger pull gauge out and checked it.  it breaks at 4.5#s with no creep. I was actually surprised after reading about them but happy all the same. picked up a .565 today and have two .575's headed my way and a good variety of #5 and #6 loads waiting. I'm still looking for a .560 (or close) so if anyone has one collecting dust I'd sure be interested.

sswv

been on the bench today with the 301 compact 20ga and have to say I really like it. POA/POI dead on. so far I've tried 5 different chokes and all of them shot pretty good patterns with 3" LB #6's at 40 yards. 2 different Carlson .575's, a Carlson's LongBeard .568, a TruGlo Gobble Stopper .565 and an Undertaker .575. I have an Undertaker .572 coming Monday. I don't think it'll out perform anything I have but in my 870 20ga with LB #6's the RSFT .572 is deadly. I know someone will ask so, the LB choke put up the bigger numbers doing 130's in the 10" at 40yds. considering its 40 degrees here with 15+ mph wind I think I've given a fair rundown of the 301 20ga. after I try the new UT .572 I'll be back.

and for what it's worth. I also tried Winchester XX, Remington Nitro Turkey and Federal Grand Slams. IMO, just a step above throwing a rock.

Gmed

Did you pattern the turkey model? I am interested in a compact and wondered how the patterns compared between 22 and 26 inch barrels.....

sswv

I did not Gmed but for what it's worth I have compared 20ga 870's one with a 26" and one with a 21" and I still own the 21". I am very pleased with the 22' barrel.

sswv

really liking this little shotgun. I added a slip-on pad which made the LOP 13 3/4"s and wrapped the barrel with camo. I've shot it enough that I'd be very comfortable hunting with it.

nyhunter

Hello I'm wondering how that little compact patterned and what shell and choke combo you went with ? going to buy one of these in the next couple day .  I've been holding out for one of those H&R 20's with a fixed full choke but I'm going this route for now, 

sswv

hey nyhunter.  I have only shot lead thru it (several different brands) and the Winchester LB #6s out shot them all. the best chokes so far have been a Carlson's .575 and a Carlson's Longbeard .568   the .575 shoots a little bit smoother pattern and the .568 puts a few more shot in the 10" at 40yds.  either one makes the little compact a solid 40 yard gun with the #6 LB's.  hate to imagine what it would do with TSS but I'll stick with lead as long as I'm getting these results.

hope this helps 

Gmed

Bought one and using a .570 Indian Creek choke and Apex Ninja 8.5 shot shells, I get nearly 300 in the 10" at a measured 40 yards and an even 20" pattern for some wiggle room...

sswv

well, the modifications begin.  been drilled and tapped to accept an H&R/NEF scope base and added a white ivory Bradly bead. trying to find a diamond reticle or circle x reticle low power scope. had to peel the camo tape back a bit for the bead job but before next season I'll a rattle can camo job.

runngun

That's going to be great!!! I have one that I have been wanting to trick out!!! You definitely gave me some motivation,  THANKS!!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

sswv

thanks runngun.   that silly safety is next

Gmed

Quote from: sswv on May 16, 2023, 08:21:10 PM
well, the modifications begin.  been drilled and tapped to accept an H&R/NEF scope base and added a white ivory Bradly bead. trying to find a diamond reticle or circle x reticle low power scope. had to peel the camo tape back a bit for the bead job but before next season I'll a rattle can camo job.

Who did your drill and tap work? Cost and time turn around?