Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

After years of trying, lighting struck twice.

Started by Ctate94, April 01, 2023, 05:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ctate94

I've been trying to kill my first bird now for a couple years. I scouted 20+ hours last two weeks and located a lot of birds. This morning was opening day in SC and GA. Wake up to wind gusts and storms. Made it to national forest land, fought other trucks and hunters. After walking a while I just sat next to a tree. Hit my trumpet a few times and relaxed. After 5 minutes I hear a sound look to my right and see two red heads 20 yards behind me coming up a hill. I killed my first bird. A Jake, but still super proud.

After a buddy showed me how to clean them and got a couple pictures, we grabbed lunch. I decided to go hit a spot in Ga after the storm passed. I made my way to a clearing, sat down, hit my trumpet another time and sure enough, 100 yards away a gobble fires off at 2:15PM. I cut back and he cleared 100 yards of woods in around 15 minutes. He came in perfect, gave me a great shot.

It took me 3 years to get my first bird, it took 3 hours to get my second. It was one heck of an opening day. On a side note, if you don't have one of Seth Hamon's trumpets, you need one. Birds couldn't help themselves today with it.

packmule

Good for you, congratulations! You'll never forget that day, beautiful trumpet from Seth.

turkey stew

Congrats on an awesome hunting day and a mighty fine turkey killing horn!

deathfoot

Greg Massey

tomstopper

Nice. Congrats

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Old Timer

Nice job young man. Nice. Your scouting and persistence payed off!

Tom007

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Zobo

Well done, there's plenty more in your future I'm sure!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Turkeybutt

Gobbler428

Congratulations, great job on two good birds and a fine trumpet from one of the best.