OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Chokes and blends

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, April 01, 2023, 10:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

So I decided to completely retire my Mossberg 835 and use my son's Mossberg 20 gauge as my backup gun.  My main hunting gun is the 301 .410.  This decision came late so chokes and shell choices have been limited.  I have acquired a Comp-N-Choke .555 and an Indian Creek .562.  For shells I purchased 1 5/8 oz Foxtrot CRUSHER 7.5x9s and Apex 9s with 1 5/8 oz of shot.  I'm gonna pattern what I have but I wanted to ask about this anyway.  Do blends pattern differently than single shot-size loads?  Does choke restriction impact blends differently than single shot-size loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

chipper

It has been my experience that the bigger shot in blends will hold more to the core of the pattern, I don't know the explanation for this but believe the smaller 9's more or less draft behind the larger shot, Reloader could give you a better explanation of this and you might PM him for it. All of my experience has been with hand loads of 1 once of 9's under 5/8 ounce of 8's but should shoot good out of that .562 Indian Creek. I'm running a duplex of 8.5 x 9's this year but it's just to use up some 8.5's I have on hand and then I will only load 9's from here on out. I also stack larger shot on top of smaller when duplexing and don't mix shot.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: chipper on April 01, 2023, 09:57:13 PM
It has been my experience that the bigger shot in blends will hold more to the core of the pattern, I don't know the explanation for this but believe the smaller 9's more or less draft behind the larger shot, Reloader could give you a better explanation of this and you might PM him for it. All of my experience has been with hand loads of 1 once of 9's under 5/8 ounce of 8's but should shoot good out of that .562 Indian Creek. I'm running a duplex of 8.5 x 9's this year but it's just to use up some 8.5's I have on hand and then I will only load 9's from here on out.
Good info!  Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: chipper on April 01, 2023, 09:57:13 PM
It has been my experience that the bigger shot in blends will hold more to the core of the pattern,...

I have found this to be true also where the larger shot stays tight to the center of the pattern. Makes for a nasty hit down range to have those larger pellets all pretty much in the center of the pattern.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13