turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS Shell load theory Question

Started by Gobblechicken4, March 29, 2023, 05:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblechicken4

Im trying to save a little money- so I thought I would ask before buying, in case any gains are not likely to matter much-

My Current set up is-
Mossberg 835
Indian Creek .675 choke
Federal TSS 3.5" #9 2 1/4oz shot- 1200 fps on the box
I have 3.5 boxes of this Ammo

I would like to open up my pattern just a little at 20 yds, but not much because I am very happy w. my 40yd pattern
I am considering trying Apex in the following configuration
3.5" #9 2 1/2 oz- 1175 fps
3" #9 2 1/4 oz- 1190 FPS
3" #9 2 oz 1200 FPS

I understand every load and combo are different, but at 60+ dollars a box- I'm wondering if in theory- Are any of those options- based on the load and length configurations likely to pattern much differently than my current set up

Here is a pic of current set up at 20 then at 40

BandedSpur

I doubt that any of those options are going to significantly open up your 20 yard patterns, as Federals are not known for throwing the tightest patterns around. I would opt for the 3" 2 oz load for recoil reduction, and that is still overkill IMO. I load 1&5/8 oz for my lightweight 12 gauge. It has all the pattern density and recoil that I want.

Gobblechicken4

Thanks. I appreciate the help. You're right on the recoil- it's never bothered me before- but for some reason- maybe that this is my 40 year old season- the recoil was not fun on this patterning session more than ever before. I may see a new gun in my future.......

paboxcall

Quote from: BandedSpur on March 30, 2023, 07:17:59 AM
I load 1&5/8 oz for my lightweight 12 gauge. It has all the pattern density and recoil that I want.

:agreed:

From here out, its Foxtrot's 12 gauge 2.75" with 1 5/8oz straight 8s in my single shot.

For comparison, my 20 gauge with 1.5 oz of straight 8s is putting 235 in a 10" circle, the exact equivalent of the 2 oz. of Hevi #7 with a .660.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot