OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1 3/8 & 1 1/2oz loads?

Started by quackaddict, March 26, 2023, 07:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quackaddict

Curious what kind of patterns guys are getting with a 1 3/8 or 1 1/2oz of #9s out of their 20s. Seems like that would be way more than enough shot to make a ridiculously good turkey gun with some extra wiggle room if needed. That should be what? Somewhere around 500 pellets +? Or is anyone making any 9.5 loads in that weight range for a 20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

paboxcall

Foxtrot Hot Rod load with 1 3/8oz straight 9s through an IC .555 in my Mossberg 500 does 325+ in the 10" at 40 yards.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

quackaddict

Quote from: paboxcall on March 26, 2023, 08:03:41 PM
Foxtrot Hot Rod load with 1 3/8oz straight 9s through an IC .555 in my Mossberg 500 does 325+ in the 10" at 40 yards.
Wow...that's strong as cat pee. Is it like a tennis ball at 20??

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

kwild835

Here is my M2 with Hal's 1 7/16oz load, .562 IC choke.
Plenty of density to get me further than I will shoot and some wiggle room up close.
Felt recoil is noticeably less than 1 5/8oz loads.

crow

I reduced the shot in Hal's 1 5/8 oz load down to 1.5 and 1 7/16th oz. of TSS #9
The 1 7/16 load had higher 10" numbers at 40yds than the heavier loads, the 15" was ok, the 20" was getting sparse. Now I'm going to have to try the 1 3/8 oz load

in the other barrel I dropped his same 1 5/8 oz load to 1oz. of TSS #8 and it averages in the low 140's
in the 10" at 40yds

chipper

In my humble opinion 1 3/8 once is all anyone needs, my daughter shoots  a 1 3/8 load and my wife's gun is shooting a 1 7/16 once load that is putting up 330 in the 10" and is more than enough. Last year was her 1st year hunting turkeys and she absolutely hammered three birds here in Tennessee out to 35 yards with that load. That was the first and only load I have loaded for her and at the first shot when patterning it was clear her gun loved it , never have shot a 1 3/8 once load in it and she has no desire to try anything else.

Jstocks

Quote from: chipper on April 01, 2023, 10:09:55 PM
In my humble opinion 1 3/8 once is all anyone needs, my daughter shoots  a 1 3/8 load and my wife's gun is shooting a 1 7/16 once load that is putting up 330 in the 10" and is more than enough. Last year was her 1st year hunting turkeys and she absolutely hammered three birds here in Tennessee out to 35 yards with that load. That was the first and only load I have loaded for her and at the first shot when patterning it was clear her gun loved it , never have shot a 1 3/8 once load in it and she has no desire to try anything else.

My daughter shoots 1 3/8 oz loads also. Never feel handicapped and shoots nice patterns.

randywallace

When its all said and done, the shells are about the cheapest part of turkey hunting for me so I don't mind throwing as many pellets downrange as humanly possible.  There is no overkill - only alive, wounded or dead.  I toss 1 7/8 or 2 ounces at them out of a 20.

huntinsomd

1 3/8 oz works great out of my 20ga and 28ga. You should do just fine with that amount of shot.