OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

very dissapointed in .410 TSS pattern please help

Started by adkmountainken, March 26, 2023, 10:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adkmountainken

ok need some input here. jumped on the .410 and TSS bandwagon as i bought a Stevens 301 for my kids.  set it up with a Indian Creek .390 choke, Sumtoy base and Vortex Venom red dot.  bought 3 boxes Federal heavy shot #9 1/2 TSS.  this is the load and set up after extensive web search and YouTube videos that has worked so well for others.  went to the range today and shot at 20 yards was EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED with results! pattern was not tight with many flyers. yes there were a handful in the kill zone but nowhere near as what has been advertised by others using this set up.  before i spend a boat of $$ on other brands of TSS i would like to hear others thoughts on this. also tried the factory choke and it preformed just as well as the Turkey Creek.

Lone Star Eastern

I don't have this gun.... Yet.... But I feel like the general consensus of best option is exactly what you have, except go with Apex Ninja 9's I instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skimerhorn

You have to really deep clean the barrel. I used a power brush to clean mine. Just a patch won't cut it. It almost tripled my pellet count. Sounds crazy but it works from everyone I've talked to

bbcoach

A couple of things first.  How big of a piece of paper did you shoot at?  Did you check POA/POI with dove loads?  And cleaning and polishing will definitely increase the pattern. 

btodd00

Mine didn't pattern very well with federal but browning and apex were top notch with the factory choke

FL-Boss

Skip all the big production loads and shoot Apex 9.5

davisd9

Did not try federals but with a squeaky clean barrel I get very good 40 yard patterns with Apex Ninja 9.5s and Browning 9s
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SumToy

welcome to the 410 world.   Alot of money is spent on them to get them to shoot.  Alot of buy this or that and most time with the 410 it not that way.   It is a good set up after you figure it out but you got to work to get it to shoot..     

Now first off I would do away with the federal shell and try a different load. 

:z-twocents: :z-twocents:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

wchadw

Quote from: SumToy on March 27, 2023, 08:35:56 AM
welcome to the 410 world.   Alot of money is spent on them to get them to shoot.  Alot of buy this or that and most time with the 410 it not that way.   It is a good set up after you figure it out but you got to work to get it to shoot..     

Now first off I would do away with the federal shell and try a different load. 

:z-twocents: :z-twocents:
X2
Definitely try another tss
Federal in my 410 was awful. Had pellets stuck in wad. Terrible pattern at 30 and almost nothing at 40
Try nitro apex or foxtrot first
I'd also polish barrel or at least clean it real good
I have a Tristar but I used a 410 brush with steel wool wrapped around it attached to a drill that I ran it thru 20ish times and then cleaned real good with patches
Then try another choke
Keep in mind, it is a 410 so your pattern at 40 is going to be somewhat sparse
125+ in 10" circle is pretty good

Greg Massey

In my opinion, you get what you pay for in one of these guns... I would never buy another one in 410 or 20 gauge... A big mistake i made ... IMO

PharmHunter

Federal has consistently patterned the worst of any TSS on the market in my experience.  Pick up some Rogue or Apex 9.5's.  I'm a big Indian Creek fan, but also try shooting with the full choke that came with that gun.  A buddy has had great results.

Sir-diealot

I have not heard anyone say anything good about the Federal TSS I am sorry to say regardless of gauge.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

ncquackersmacker

Apex 9.5 Ninjas shoot excellent out of my .410. Federals were marginal at best.

quackaddict

I'd get with Viper and try some 1oz of #10s. My little Mossberg likes the 9.5 Ninjas as well, but the 1oz of 10s are on a different level.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

PALongspur

The 301 I have set up for my kids shoots fantastic with the Federal load and the TSS choke from Carlson's.