turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Toy Stevens 301 410

Started by Henry347, March 20, 2023, 12:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry347

First time poster here on the forum but long time Turkey Hunter from East TN. I've always used a 12 gauge for hunting but decided to jump on the band wagon with the other 410 hunters. My gun I've used for the last few season is actually a 301 Stevens as well but in 12 gauge. It's paired with a Gobble Stopper Red Dot and Jellyhead Maximum. Have got a few birds with that setup shooting Long Beard XR's.

I ran across another 301 in bottom lands camo with the thumbhole in 410 and had to have it. I'm hoping it'll be in at my FFL in a week or so. I'm trying to get everything ordered and have it ready by the 15th when the season opens. Went with a AT3 RD-50 after reading some reviews on it.

Now my next hurdle is wether I should go ahead and order a different choke or try the factory one. I've read where some have had good success with the factory choke out to 40 yards and others the patterns isn't to good. The ammo I'll be using is the Federal TSS 9 shot. Found it for $30 a box at a local place and bought a couple boxes.

Looking for some input from other hunters shooting the Stevens in 410. Wether they are using the factory choke or went with a different one. The choke I'm looking at is the patternmaster code black if I decide to buy another.

Bigfootwolff

Congratulations on your new 301 in ,410.  I got one earlier this year and had the same dilemma you are having regarding purchasing an aftermarket choke.  After watching several videos and reading some reviews, I decided to give the factory choke a try and instead spend the money on some good TSS loads.  I bought a box of Apex Tukey Ninja 9.5s and patterned the factory choke at 20 and 40 yards.  My 20 yard pattern is pretty tight, with not a lot of room for error.  My 40 yard pattern opened up some, but was still reasonably tight.  The 40 yard pattern was a good huntng pattern with no real voids.  I would definitely feel comfortable taking a turkey at 40 yards with that load and choke combination.  I have decided 40 yards will be my max distance when shooting a turkey with a .410, but the factory choke pattern is definitely good enough to kill at 45 yards.  I figure if I misjudge my distance by a few yards I'm still okay.  Definitely give the factory choke a shot, you may be pleasantly suprised.

davisd9

This is my son's 301 410 shooting Apex Ninja 9.5s with factory choke at 40 yards. I wanted him to have a bit of a forgiving pattern and this combo gives that. He has killed three turkeys with it.  Two at around 20 yards and another at 30. All dropped where they stood. I have it purposely low in case he shoots at head but the last one he aimed perfect so I may raise it a touch. Anyway, I have been impressed with the little gun and has done all we have asked of it. It does like a very clean barrel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

btomlin

My factory choke with 9.5s is nearly identical to davisd9 photo.  I think mine was 142 with a 13/16oz federal 9.5 load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btodd00

the 301 factory choke patterned better than most factory chokes ive had on other guns. From what I found out it is made by Carlson, i wanted the same brand to try in my mossberg 500 410 because the factory choke that came with it was not near as impressive

Henry347

I got a chance to get out and sight the Stevens in yesterday, I went ahead and ordered a Patternmaster Code Black to try against the Factory Choke. The Patternmaster performed slightly better with the Federal #9 but 35 yards will be my max with both setups. Maybe next season I'll try some of the other TSS loads from Apex or Verdict. At 22 yards the Federal put 178 in the 10 with Factory Choke and the Patternmaster put 229. Moved out to 40 yards and Factory Choke put 75 in the 10 and Patternmaster did 94. The Patternmaster shot slightly right with the zero for the factory choke.

Henry347

krm944

Quote from: btodd00 on March 21, 2023, 02:08:29 PM
the 301 factory choke patterned better than most factory chokes ive had on other guns. From what I found out it is made by Carlson, i wanted the same brand to try in my mossberg 500 410 because the factory choke that came with it was not near as impressive

I have never heard this. Very good info. ????

g8rvet

When you can, get the Apex Ninja 9.5.  Factory choke and those pair very nicely and make it truly a 40 yard gun.  I bought a box of the Federals as well and got similar results.  The Ninja's change the game.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Muzzy61

Mine patterned good with the federals and factory choke. Three dead turkeys at 28, 30,and 35 yards.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Vintage

Factory choke works great for me.

Henry347

I got some Salt Creek Customs to try in the Stevens and it performed better than the Federal. This go around the factory choke out performed the Patternmaster.  Only shot them both at 40 and the Salt Creek put 109 in the 10 with the Patternmaster where with the Factory Choke it put 130. Just going to hunt with the Salt Creek #10's and factory choke this season. The Apex is the next ones on my list to try out.

Henry347

Factory Choke W/ Salt Creek #10s

Henry347

Patternmaster W/Salt Creek #10

Henry347

Got to test the little 410 out yesterday morning on this East TN public land bird. Closest I could get them in was 45yds but those Salt Creek #10's did the job.