OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Vest Help

Started by Rtr1987, March 17, 2023, 09:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rtr1987

Hey all, I've had a ruptured disc since last season and I'm looking to get a new vest asap to meet a set of needs. I know I'll need to go with a full vest to get the level of sitting comfort I want, but what's the closest to a lighter/minimalist vest as far and simplicity? I don't need more than one pot call pocket, if any. I'd rather leave the pot at home and bring the Thermacell lol. Most run and gun rigs I've found though have little if anything to brag about in the seat and back padding dept. Has anyone found a vest that's a good compromise? Also, I'd take ruggedness and durability over having my choice of camo pattern everytime. With all of that said, my other option is to go with a Minimalist Satchel and tube seat from Ms. Green, just making sure I've considered all options. Any suggestions would be great, Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howieg

Bad lower back issues here to .  The best I've found is a Alps impact vest . The cushion is thin , but it acts somewhat like a stadium chair . You can cinch up the sides to help support your back . I put a inter tube from a lawn mower tire in the back of vest for more comfort also . ,, also the seat folds up between the vest and your back while not folded down .  I hate a cushion that bounces around while I'm walking .

bwhana

Quote from: Howieg on March 17, 2023, 09:55:04 PM
Bad lower back issues here to .  The best I've found is a Alps impact vest . The cushion is thin , but it acts somewhat like a stadium chair . You can cinch up the sides to help support your back . I put a inter tube from a lawn mower tire in the back of vest for more comfort also . ,, also the seat folds up between the vest and your back while not folded down .  I hate a cushion that bounces around while I'm walking .
Great suggestion! I have 2 bad discs. I use the Alps seat without a vest. The key is to not sit on it like a cushion, but instead sit on it in a V to support your back and legs and kind of balance on the point instead of flat on the bottom. Works wonders for me if I am not toting a turkey chair.

Rtr1987

Thanks! I'll check them out. How are they weight wise? I can do quite a bit of walking to get to my spot for a long sit. Also durability? Thank again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Put a Klymit air cushion in there and it triples the comfort.  Thin, about an inch thick and about $14 on Amazon last time I looked.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

CALLM2U

I have degenerative disc disease and still suffer the effects of 2 herniated discs so I feel your pain. 

I don't personally feel like the vest is the biggest issue.  The place, and how I sit down makes much more of a difference.  Often times I stuff a hoodie, shirt ect in my lumbar to provide support.  A thick seat will help for sure, but the body position seems to make a big difference.  Of course, everyone is different, but that's what works for me. 

Spitten and drummen

If you like a good comfy seat and nice fit with a pretty good back padding then I would look at the grounded impact vest.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BDeal