OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lonnie Mabry Cedar / Gray Slate Pot

Started by bbcoach, March 17, 2023, 04:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I recently purchased a Mabry Cedar Grey Slate Pot from one of the OG members.  I have a few higher pitched slate and glass pots but couldn't find a more mellow sounding pot to throw in the mix.  I may have found what I was looking for.  This pot, I believe, has a wood sound board and delivers an older, 3 pack a day, hen that is very different from the rest of the pots I carry.  I constantly switch calls, to sound like multiple hens and to get a different sound and this normally works most days.  If I can't get a response on one call, it will get switched for something that will get a response.  I would Love to get to Lonnie's shop some day and talk with him.  Many of you have a few of Lonnie's calls.  What is your experience with the wood sound board calls that Lonnie offers?

mountainhunter1

I have plenty of pots, but honestly like his as much as anything that I own. A good word for his slate pots is "mellow." His are not near as lively as slate over glass, but are more similar to a slightly toned down in tune slate over slate sound. But personally, I think his slate pots sound like a turkey as much as anything that I hunt with. He generally puts a cherry wood soundboard into all of his slate pot calls. I think I recall the pot you bought being on here a while back. Along with his cedar pots, his asiatic (blond cedar), walnut, mahogany, zebrawood, cherry and hackberry slate pots are all set up the same way (he uses a few other woods at times, but this is what he usually has in stock for his slate pot calls).

If you ever get the chance to go and see him, I encourage you to do so. He does not operate by a clock that much these days and will be glad to hang out with you most of the day if that is your thing. Beyond making excellent calls, he is a turkey killer who has killed a lot of turkeys. Just a year ago, he killed an 1.5 inch spurred bird up in the mtns, and he is in his eighties. He will be more than glad to share some of his turkey stories with you if you go. And he is beyond fair in how he deals with his customers.

I can promise you this - that cedar pot you have from him will kill turkeys early and often.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

aclawrence

I've been to Lonnies shop once. It's about 4 hours away and worth the trip. I wish that someone could sit down with him a record some of his stories. Unfortunately most of the the turkey hunting podcast are awful. With exception to the turkey hunter podcast. I picked up three boxes, a long box and a cedar pot call from him. I wanted to get a box call for me and my sons.  The pot sounds just as you describe. All of his calls are extremely affordable. If anyone is wanting to make the trip try and make it happen. Mr. Mabry is getting on up in years. I hope he's able to make calls for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roosterstraw

Thanks to a very kind OG member I was able to get a cedar slate from him. Like you said it has a different tone than my other gray slates. It's probably my favorite one.

Sixes

His aluminums are far from mellow as is his glass

mountainhunter1

Quote from: roosterstraw on March 17, 2023, 06:24:05 PM
Thanks to a very kind OG member I was able to get a cedar slate from him. Like you said it has a different tone than my other gray slates. It's probably my favorite one.

:funnyturkey:
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Sixes on March 17, 2023, 06:32:31 PM
His aluminums are far from mellow as is his glass

Yep, his bronze glass is a good call.

WV Ridge Reaper

Been wanting to try one of his slates for a while,I always miss out it seems when one is posted.

Anyone have one and want to sell or trade let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridge Strutter

I'm less than an hour from him here in Ga, and am embarrassed to say, I wasn't aware of him until my time here on OG...... which led to an affinity for custom pots.  Does anyone have a contact for him to arrange a visit time?  PM me if you do, please. Many thanks.

bbcoach

I wanted to Thank each of you for your responses.  I know Lonnie has been a stalwart in the Turkey call making world for many years.  Since most of us can't make it to Georgia, we rely on others input and shopping ability to get his calls.  There is another Lonnie, that lives in West Virginia, that is also well known for his calls, as well.  Lonnie Sneed is another person that has been in the business for many years and continues to make some wonderful calls.  It is my Hopes and Prayers that these Gentlemen have many more years to Enjoy what they LOVE to do.  MAKING LASTING MEMORIES!!!