turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tetra Hearing Turkey Amp Pods

Started by ncwoodsman, March 16, 2023, 01:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncwoodsman

Recently I was able to get some of the Tetra Turkey Amp Pods and this posting is really just to inform other that they can be purchased using your HSA card if you have one through the company you work for. Yes they are very pricey which is why I never owned a pair until the HSA approval process came about. My company puts money in my HSA account each year that I never spent so it was a win win for me.

I wear hearing aids in both ears all day everyday. Although they are pretty good in the turkey woods I can't shoot with them in so really they are rendered useless when it comes time to shoot unless you are in a ground blind and tuck down and remove them quickly.

I have not hunted with the Tetras yet but I was able to get my Audiologist hearing records sent to Tetra and they tuned them for me specifically. I will say they sound really good around the house and outdoors, really close to my 6K hearing aids which was surprising. I really like the tap feature on the ears for different programs. I am very excited to have them for this upcoming turkey season.

Here is a video that I watched that helped me make the decision to purchase these. I have no affiliation with Tetra whatsoever but just wanted to share this info for any deaf hunters out there like me that might need a better solution. I have tried several of the over the ear type muffs but never liked them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFavLKAB194

Best of luck to you all this season!

Tail Feathers

I'm adding to this thread with my review of the Tetra AmpPods.
After reading about them on this site, I studied on them some and decided to give them a try.  The 30 day money back guarantee was helpful in that decision.  My wife also told me to spend the money.  She said it was my passion and I was losing out not being able to hear enough to be effective at it.  So I bought the Turkey AmpPods 90 (enhanced) version after taking their hearing test, reading up and consulting with Tetra staff.  They were very helpful and fast to respond.

Do they work?  Heck yeh!  I heard turkeys with those things that I am certain I wouldn't have heard otherwise.
Can you determine direction?  Yep.  About as good as I ever could with the amppods.  Surprisingly well in fact.
Does the wind howl in them?  No more than your natural ears.  They seem to really amplify turkey sounds and song birds.  Not the wind, tho it can still howl just like in unaided ears.  They don't magnify the wind however.
Are the comfortable?  Yes.  I wore them three days in a row on all day hunts, 5am to about 9pm with no discomfort.

Do they work as hearing aids?  Not really.  They have a voice setting and it works, but I wouldn't use them as hearing aids after my weeks with them.  I do have regular  hearing aids.  They work on voices but I really don't wear them much as they just bother me.

Negatives.  Nothing is perfect.  They have voice (clearcomm) setting, Turkey, Turkey Boost, and Turkey Magnum.  You tap the amppod in your ear to change levels.  Or you can cough and change them.  Or sometimes a high wind directly into you ear can change them.  And sometimes the tapping doesn't...without a few extra trys anyway. 

Batteries lasted maybe 75-80 hours for me.  Not bad, they said 90 hours should be expected tho.

Are they worth it?  IMO, absolutely yes.  I heard gobbles that I couldn't hear otherwise, even with Howard Leight muffs turned up.  I heard more hens than ever before this spring.  Way more.  I was totally missing soft stuff.
I could hear hunting partners' whispers a bit better too.  They absolutely do what I wanted most, let me hear birds a whole lot better.  I think they put me back in the game and definitely help me hear and locate more gobblers in the spring woods.  And that was the primary purpose of buying them.  I wore them 17 days this turkey season. I'll be keeping them.
Oh yeh, do they block sound?  Yes, somewhat.  I shot two birds with them on and had a buddy next to me shoot one with them on.  20 gauge TSS rounds each time and they sounded more like a pop gun that a big blast.  That's not their primary function, but they definitely lessen the shotgun blast more than I thought they could or would.

Good hunting.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

shatcher

Good info.  I started doing research on these.

762hunter

My girlfriend works at Ducks Unlimited and met the guys at Tetra through work before I had ever even heard of them.
She was telling me what she had learned and I've been thinking about getting a pair considering the constant ringing in my ears has me missing a lot on low volume stuff I'm sure.

Thanks for the reviews and the HSA bit.

I may actually pull the plug and order some now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncwoodsman

They are a good company with excellent customer service. I've spoken with one of the founders a time or two and they have been great to deal with. I believe you will be pleased and amazed at what sounds you have been missing in the turkey woods.

WALKER80

I have a pair of the custom shield 90's.  They work great and as advertised but I can't stand to run a diaphragm call with them in, " so loud you can't tell what you sound like".   They really have them dialed in though, and I would say it is money well spent other than that one quirk, which may not bother anyone else but me. 

Old Timer

Quote from: WALKER80 on May 16, 2023, 03:14:47 PM
I have a pair of the custom shield 90's.  They work great and as advertised but I can't stand to run a diaphragm call with them in, " so loud you can't tell what you sound like".   They really have them dialed in though, and I would say it is money well spent other than that one quirk, which may not bother anyone else but me.
Using my Wild Ears I have the same problem running a diaphragm call. It is hard to tell how good I`m calling.
Today after the hunt I put my hearing aids back in and my calling sounded natural. Must be the sound dampening that does it. Also with the Wild Ears I get a lot of wind noise. I am considering going Tetra but concerned about the specie specific technology if that`s the real deal or real good advertising. 

arkrem870

I'm looking into tetra for duck hunting.
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS