OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hen to Tom Ratio

Started by 2flyfish4, March 14, 2023, 07:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2flyfish4

Just curious if any studies have been conducted on hen to tom ratios and what ratio would be most beneficial for healthy turkey populations. 

Would further be interested in what the typical poult ratio is with males/females for hatched poults and if one sex is more or less likely to make it to sexual maturity.

Dtrkyman

I read somewhere that a minimum of .50 gobblers per hen, less than that can be an indication of over harvest.

The record high in that study was .62

Seems you have to get into some serious search somewhere to find ideal number? 

Good question for some biologists for sure.   

Number17

For Easterns, the male:female poult ratio is 1:1 in a typical clutch.

I've read that very few gobblers live more than 3 years because their Spring displaying rituals make them very susceptible to predation. That certainly makes sense.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Sixes

A 1:1 ratio will allow males to have bigger spurs and beards ;D

WV Flopper

For my interactions with the male turkey I would prefer 10 Toms to 0 hens.

On second thought that would take the fun out of it. Should have at least one hen I guess. Seems to me it's typically 10-1 the other way where I hunt in Virginia and West Virginia. I am sure it is not, but that's the way it seems some days

GobbleNut

I'm can't say that I have seen any projections in this region as to what constitutes a healthy hen to gobbler ratio.  In turkey populations that are not hunted, I would think the ratio would naturally be about 1/1. Under the hunting regulations that exist across the country, I would be very surprised if the ratio of gobblers to hens is more than about 20% (1 gobbler per 5 hens), and I would bet there are plenty of places where it is closer to 10%,...perhaps less.

Based on my observations over the years in the area I have mainly hunted, I would put the ratio of mature gobblers to hens in the 20% range.  Counting jakes in that estimate might bring it up to 30-40%.  I would not be concerned about turkey populations that had reliable and sustainable reproduction with ratios in that range. 

There is no doubt in my mind that there are a number of places where the ratio of hens to gobblers is nowhere near what I would consider to be a healthy ratio. 

Ridge Strutter

Poult ratios are slightly male favored, usually 52-55% male.  Males do suffer more predation.

Dtrkyman