OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fun youth hunt today

Started by g8rvet, March 12, 2023, 08:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Bird gobbled a little late (overcast), we moved to get a better feel for where he was and he gave us a courtesy gobble.  Moved in to where we thought we would be safe and eased in until we were in the bottom near his last known position.  He gobbled - close and already on the ground!  I am looking around for where to set the boy up and he says "I see a bird.  I see two birds!" They are way closer and to our left and surprise the heck out of me (50 yards from the gobble).   "Okay. Don't move".  He is waving his hands to point at the birds which I now see.  About 50 yards away.  They are nervous, but not moving away 4 jakes-well 3 for sure, the other never gave us a good look).  They step behind some thick stuff and me and him and his pappy (my brother) just drop where we are.  He gets his gun up and I yelp.  One of the nervous jakes gobble and when he does, so does the bird to our right (the one we heard easing in). I call and they come in on a string (3 birds).  He is fooling around with his shooting sticks and keeps telling us he has no shot.  Birds are at less than 30.  The gobbler goes in full strut and hammers right in our face, setting off the jake next to him.  He never shoots and they ease off, I get on the call and they come back to our left.  I have to lay down so he can shoot and my brother has moved up to be looking right down his barrel, telling him to shoot when he has a clear shot.  They are at 25 yards now.  He shoots.  Clean miss.  I yelp hard and keep them around for a minute or two but the jig is up.  We check and it was a clean miss.  The birds gobble as they are leaving and we move around to cut them off and get them back to about 75 yards, but they won't finish.  The wind kicks up hard and we make another move but lose them and no joy.  He took it pretty well.  Walked our legs off and had a crazy up close show.  We will get him another chance. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

snoman4

Congrats on a great hunt even though you didn't get to take dinner home.

SDK

Great day by the sound of it!

My 15 YO son and are are marking the days until season opener. I even took a vacation day and am letting him off of school.

owlhoot

Sounds like a fun day that won't be forgotten anytime soon.

Turkeybutt

It could have turned out better by him taking his first bird but I'm sure he learned some valuable lessons!
You, your son and Pappy wont forget that hunt anytime soon.
Lets us know how your son makes out as it would be nice to know he got his first bird.

FLGobstopper

That's a perfect youth hunt right there! I've seen and felt some pretty similar hunts to what you're describing. Don't get me wrong I love it when they end with a dead bird but those hunts like you just shared along with an eventual dead bird make will make some fine turkey hunters some day. Hope y'all have many more hunts just like that one and many more with a heavy tote on the way out. Thanks for sharing and good luck!

JeffC

Thanks for sharing a great story. Will make it all the better when he connects with a big Tom! Good luck!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

Great story, keep at it. Hope you nail a big Tom!

Greg Massey

Awesome hunt regardless of the outcome... Memories

Mallard1897

Sounds like a rollercoaster of a hunt the young man won't soon forget. I'll never forget my first turkey hunt where the tom came in on a string and of course I missed! Learned an important lesson that day that things rarely go according to plan in the turkey woods and I think that fueled my love of turkey hunting even more.

Hope he gets out again an connects on one. GL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk