OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crawling, Creeping, moving

Started by Tom007, March 12, 2023, 08:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

I have rarely crawled on a turkey to shoot him, however I regularly crawl to get close to birds to call from a different more advantageous position, I tend to walk more than crawl in a hunched over position to stay out of sight.

No idea how many birds I killed over the years after a small adjustment while working a bird, surely have messed up plenty as well, just got to go with your gut!

Tom007

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 12, 2023, 01:56:18 PM
I have rarely crawled on a turkey to shoot him, however I regularly crawl to get close to birds to call from a different more advantageous position, I tend to walk more than crawl in a hunched over position to stay out of sight.

No idea how many birds I killed over the years after a small adjustment while working a bird, surely have messed up plenty as well, just got to go with your gut!

Amen my friend..

Mallard1897

It goes without saying but for me calling a bird into my setup is the goal. Since that rarely ever happens I often end up repositioning on birds to either get in their "bubble" or to get ahead of where they're going/are willing to go to, terrain/foliage dependent.

It feels almost more rewarding when you trick a bird using woodsmanship and calling. Never been one to crawl on birds just to get in gun range but to each their own. If moving doesn't work they live to be hunted another day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tom007

guesswho

Earlier in my career I looked like a whack-o-mole.   I'd move on one in a second, and was very successful in doing so.   Now that I'm older that technique is a little further down the plan list.  It used to be a steady plan B, now I'll stick with plan A a little longer.    I'll still Bobcat one, just not as often.   When I resort to Bobcat'n one usually dies.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

quavers59

Watch Matt Dale's  very recent Video-- Stop Believing  This.
    This is how,I hunt on Public. Meaning-- You Have To Move.  That Video is an A+  Been hunting that way since 1990.

Tom007

Paulmyr

I'll still crawl to get into a better calling position but won't crawl to take a shot. Early season especially with no cover from leaves to hide my movements. Been hunting public all my life. I prefer the final approach to be made by him. If I were to try and Pearl Harbor one, my focus would be on the bird and getting close, not sure how much of my surroundings I'd be aware of and might sneak myself into trouble.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Old Gobbler

I'll move around and maneuver on birds  ..

My preferred method is I walk extremely..and I mean extremely slow like 10 minutes to go just 50 yards , avoiding openings but standing upright ...move a couple of hundred yards ...wait 10-20 minutes .. Soft cluckin..then turn up the calling ...then drift on out of  there , and try it again ..if your well camoed ..and move very ..very slowly never moving your head and scanning constantly .. the key is to move Slow...slower than the speed of a feeding hen

I never move at a regular walking pace , that's too fast unless I'm going somewhere far

Open fields in Florida can vary ...they can be like a golf course open and impossible, or palmettos and arduous with snakes

It's gonna depend..if I thing there is people around, I don't even bother ...
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

ScottTaulbee

My entire hunting style is altering my set up. I want to portray a hen, that is perfectly content without him if he doesn't come, and I'm just walking through this area throwing nasty promises to him if he comes. I don't use a decoy and I hunt woods. I'll call from my original position, move up or back 20 or 30 yards after several minutes and run my calls, then I'll go silent and go left or right 20 or 30 yards and do it again. I'm playing on his curiosity and it works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeybutt

For me a lot depends on the bird and the terrain I am in. If I roasted a bird the night before I'll get there real early trying not to call attention to myself and allow the woods to settle down.
I guess the best way to describe it is the way I taught my son at an early age. I asked him these questions.
When you come home late at night and walk in the house in the dark can you navigate around without bumping into anything? His replay was, " Sure pretty much so dad."
You also know or feel if something is out of place or not quite right as well don't you? His response was, "Sure, you get a feeling something isn't right or out of place."
Well son what I'm getting at is you are entering that deer or that turkeys home. They know when something isn't quite right or out of place and they are on alert much like you would be. So try to blend in and don't call attention to yourself in any way possible, use the terrain to your advantage.
We all seen it, a turkey will cover a 100 or 200 yards in a matter of a minute or less and we seen them take 20 or 30 minutes to cover 10 yards.
So much like Shannon if I decide to move I am very methodical in my approach always scanning, moving slowly and trying not to call attention to myself. I may call softly every so often to let the bird know I am on the move and maybe get his attention and get him to think I might be leaving.
If the situation arises and I need to move to circle a bird I will cover some distance at a faster pace.

Howieg

I used to be able to slither up to one like a sneaky bobcat ,, now it's more like a 3 legged sloth !

Tom007

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 12, 2023, 10:48:55 PM
I'll move around and maneuver on birds  ..

My preferred method is I walk extremely..and I mean extremely slow like 10 minutes to go just 50 yards , avoiding openings but standing upright ...move a couple of hundred yards ...wait 10-20 minutes .. Soft cluckin..then turn up the calling ...then drift on out of  there , and try it again ..if your well camoed ..and move very ..very slowly never moving your head and scanning constantly .. the key is to move Slow...slower than the speed of a feeding hen

I never move at a regular walking pace , that's too fast unless I'm going somewhere far

Open fields in Florida can vary ...they can be like a golf course open and impossible, or palmettos and arduous with snakes

It's gonna depend..if I thing there is people around, I don't even bother ...

I think I would walk upright in the Florida terrain. Loaded with some unfriendly critters that would make crawling less attractive. Kudos to those who do it, I guess when you grow up there, it's nothing......

jhoward11

You should never limit yourself to one style of hunting. I don't have a problem moving on a bird (public land could get iffy) if I feel it is warranted. In some ways, I feel like it takes a little more skill to move on a bird and beat all his senses. Lay of the land is huge when I move. I always like to come up from below them, ditches, swells, rain helps a lot. For some reason, I guess it feels like I worked a little harder and beat him on his terms, in every aspect. His best against my best. Compared to sitting motionless against a tree or in a blind just using my calling skills, which I also do. Either way can work. The great thing is, you learn something different each time out you can use for the next hunt.

High plains drifter

I don't try to sneak up.I always call them in.Simetimes I move,if the terrain allows it.Moving can get you busted. As for other hunters,I have run into a few.I try to avoid them. Getting good at calling,wearing good camo,getting in in the dark, being silent, all help.