turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Perfect vest

Started by delta hunter, March 11, 2023, 10:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delta hunter

I'm having a hard time finding a vest an 100% happy with. I thought the Grounded vest was the ticket, but after only a year, a lot of the stitching is coming loose and today one of the straps connecting the seat to the vest pulled away from the seat. SOOO... what is your all time favorite vest? Is anything made to last these days?

TurkeyReaper69

I'm pretty happy with my Ol Tom vest. It's lightweight, and has a comfy seat. And it's under $449 dollars so I'd call it a steal.

Ridge

Howieg

I find something I don't like with all of them .

Gooserbat

No such thing.  Bass pro screwed up the tactical tater line. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

eddie234

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 12, 2023, 10:00:49 AM
I Learned a long time ago if you find something you like get a couple of them because they will change or be discontinued. I have a couple of the original tactical tatr vest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 12, 2023, 10:00:49 AM
Yep that in my opinion was as close to the perfect vest as possible.  I still have one of the original ones, I use early season, then I switch tot eh Glenda Green satchel as it gets hotter late in the spring. 

Old Timer

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 11, 2023, 10:47:11 PM
I'm pretty happy with my Ol Tom vest. It's lightweight, and has a comfy seat. And it's under $449 dollars so I'd call it a steal.
Reaper, This vest has some interest to me. Two drawbacks the shine and is somewhat big. Does that shine bother you?

runngun

I modified my vest. When you find a vest that you like and it is close to what you like/want all you need is some sewing needles and heavy braided fishing line. I use power braid. You can make it modular when you find a pouch or attachment that you want. I added grommets and D-rings to the shoulder straps. I have also added the strap to hold the butt of my shotgun to my shoulder.  So many options if you are able to do this.  Add a wide strip of elastic for shell holder, wherever you want to.

Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

wyetterp

Stinks to hear that with your grounded. I got mine in december. I haven't even used it & there is stitching that already came loose on the interior pocket where some pruners can go. Not really happy about that either. Makes me wonder what grounded would say about the stitching issues. Really stink for what should be such a well designed vest. The way their warranty is stated doesn't leave much reassurance.

Any chance you or anyone else has reached out to them?

I'm planning on running mine through this season, then getting the M2 from Tethrd. Looks to be built tough. I also know their cs is pretty good for stuff that's not our fault. I'm really liking the modularity of that thing.

Finally looks like something I could attach a ifak & tourniquet in a good place. Also, if something gets damaged, all the parts are replaceable.

Idk, maybe something to check out. Has its pros & cons like any vest.

I still love using my direct action tactical messenger bag when I get sick of wearing a vest or if it's crazy hot out. That thing easily gets ya organized & easy to access everything. I use it for every kind of hunting & it packs everything no problem. I've been severely rough on it & it's held up to 3 years of abuse packed with stuff.

Just another option. It's a good feeling to have a bag laying there & being able to get to everything easily.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

BDeal

That is really disappointing to hear about the Grounded. I was just about to order one but probably won't now. I looked at the M2 as well but it appears it basically has 2 little pockets and you have to pay to add more.

btodd00

I have a original primos gobbler vest, never had anything come apart on it but have lost at least 3 pot calls/strikers out of it from it not having a way to secure them. still would probably never get rid of it

I have a run n gun 200 that I nitpicked at the storage locations for several seasons. Had a thermacell melt and burn it a little and all the zipper pulls have broke. Other than that its still holding up

then I went to a chest pack, hated the first one, hated the second one, not real fond of the third one but I still keep it around for those hot days down here 

now I have an ol tom time and motion. Took tags off put pots in pouch and the elastic holder broke first day I had it. Tied one up myself and made it work and its been like that since

most of mine have something sewed or zip tied to them to make something I want to carry fit right

BDeal

Quote from: btodd00 on March 13, 2023, 09:24:55 AM
I have a original primos gobbler vest, never had anything come apart on it but have lost at least 3 pot calls/strikers out of it from it not having a way to secure them. still would probably never get rid of it

I have a run n gun 200 that I nitpicked at the storage locations for several seasons. Had a thermacell melt and burn it a little and all the zipper pulls have broke. Other than that its still holding up

then I went to a chest pack, hated the first one, hated the second one, not real fond of the third one but I still keep it around for those hot days down here 

now I have an ol tom time and motion. Took tags off put pots in pouch and the elastic holder broke first day I had it. Tied one up myself and made it work and its been like that since

most of mine have something sewed or zip tied to them to make something I want to carry fit right

What chest pack do you like the best?

btodd00

Knight and hale run n gun 100

Keep 1 pot, 1 striker, couple mouth calls, thermacell in the box call holder, pruners, couple extra shells and light in it

dixiemagnum80

Quote from: Ridge on March 12, 2023, 06:35:44 AM
FOX

This is funny. They must not be that good because they are all on eBay right now for more than my house cost. :popcorn: