turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Beretta A300 Ultima Turkey vs Sa-20 Tactical Turkey

Started by Tandin93, March 09, 2023, 04:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tandin93

Trying to decide between these two as a dedicated, turkey gun. I love the pistol grip and shorter barrel of the Mossberg, but I am familiar with Berettas, and love the way they cycle. I know they're not exactly in the same class, but does anyone here have experience with either one of these guns? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glades

The Beretta has a full length stock for some reason. The SA has a short stock, as it should on a turkey gun.

Tandin93

Quote from: Glades on March 09, 2023, 08:19:15 PM
The Beretta has a full length stock for some reason. The SA has a short stock, as it should on a turkey gun.
That is a great point. The shorter LOP is very nice. I don't understand why they put a full length stock on that Beretta.

BandedSpur

Not sure of the weight difference between the two. I would choose whichever is lighter, but the Beretta is in a different quality class than the Mossberg. If they weighed the same, I would definitely choose the Beretta.

FL-Boss

Beretta is no doubt a better quality gun...but it also costs more.  For a dedicated turkey gun - it's going to be a low volume of shots taken... and any of the SA turkish made guns will be fine. I have had over 10 of these Turkish semi auto guns.. Moss SA, Tristar Viper, Weatherby SA, etc...  all are basically the same and they all run well.  The SA is probably the lightest semi-auto made.

Tandin93

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 10, 2023, 12:27:26 PM
Beretta is no doubt a better quality gun...but it also costs more.  For a dedicated turkey gun - it's going to be a low volume of shots taken... and any of the SA turkish made guns will be fine. I have had over 10 of these Turkish semi auto guns.. Moss SA, Tristar Viper, Weatherby SA, etc...  all are basically the same and they all run well.  The SA is probably the lightest semi-auto made.
I think I have ruled out the Beretta. Now I'm going to try to decide between just getting the Mossberg and be done with it, or taking the Franchi affinity 3 Compact that I already have and sending it off to be tricked out like I want.
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Tandin93

Thanks for the input! I ended up picking up the SA turkey tactical in 20 gauge. I really like it so far! It does have some trouble running lighter loads, but I think after it gets broken in, that should go away. Also, this gun is probably never going to shoot them as I have other shotguns for wing shooting. Now to try to pattern this thing!

g8rvet

Run a box of high brass pheasant loads through it. That helped my Weatherby. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Tandin93

Quote from: g8rvet on March 16, 2023, 05:10:05 PM
Run a box of high brass pheasant loads through it. That helped my Weatherby.
I ran one box of 3 inch turkey loads through it, and then one box of high brass #6's, but it still has trouble with 7/8 ounce target loads. I'm going to try running another box of high brass, heavier loads through it and see if it improves.

Tandin93

Update

For anyone who is interested, I ran one more box of high brass through the shotgun, and now it runs light loads like a champ. It ran the cheap Academy brand ammo with no problem. I'm going to try some other brands, but I am hopeful!