OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS for kids?

Started by aclawrence, March 08, 2023, 08:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Hey guys I'm planning to take my son along with me on the youth hunt this year. I'm shooting a Remington 870 compact 20ga. I've been using Apex 3" 9's. Does anyone make a lower recoil load option that your aware of.  I let him shoot an old Stevens 20 ga single shot a few years ago with a high power squirrel load and that was a mistake. He'd been shooting the .22 and when he shot the shotgun he cried. I think it probably scared him mostly. Also the recoil pad is hard as a brick on that thing.  We stopped and looked and a Mossberg 510 20ga the other day and it is small and really lightweight. It's great because he can actually maneuver it around if a bird came in to an unexpected side but I can't imagine shooting a turkey load through that little gun. It would have to kick something awful. I know if he's shooting at a turkey he probably won't notice the recoil but I'd like to find something with a little less recoil if I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocHolliday

Federal now makes a reduced recoil TSS 20 ga load.

Also consider Mossberg SA-28 Compact. Check out the patterns posted in the thread on the "16,28,410" board below.

Apex and Foxtrot both load 28 TSS

Mick2394

2 3/4" load wouldn't be a bad idea, just keep distance close. They also make a 2 3/4" tss load . I got my daughter a .410 but she is only 7 and she shot it once at a target to get a feel for it with TSS and doesn't mind the recoil on it.
Semper Fi

Greg Massey

If you could find some of the old Federal Premium HW 15g. they also made those in 20ga 2 3/4 load, awesome little shells...  You might post looking for some of these..

aclawrence

Quote from: Mick2394 on March 08, 2023, 09:45:55 AM
2 3/4" load wouldn't be a bad idea, just keep distance close. They also make a 2 3/4" tss load . I got my daughter a .410 but she is only 7 and she shot it once at a target to get a feel for it with TSS and doesn't mind the recoil on it.
I thought about a .410 but thought the 20 would be more forgiving in the pattern department and I already have a 20ga. We did pick up a little Stevens .410 at the store and he really liked it but I think it was because it was camo lol. It was the cheapest but had a full length stock so that's no good.

aclawrence

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 08, 2023, 09:58:28 AM
If you could find some of the old Federal Premium HW 15g. they also made those in 20ga 2 3/4 load, awesome little shells...  You might post looking for some of these..
Thanks Greg I'll keep an eye out for those.

aclawrence

Quote from: DocHolliday on March 08, 2023, 09:41:01 AM
Federal now makes a reduced recoil TSS 20 ga load.

Also consider Mossberg SA-28 Compact. Check out the patterns posted in the thread on the "16,28,410" board below.

Apex and Foxtrot both load 28 TSS
I see Midway has some of the Federals in stock for $48.99. I'd love to pick up a little auto loader but don't have the finances for that at the moment.

Mick2394

Quote from: aclawrence on March 08, 2023, 10:09:57 AM
Quote from: Mick2394 on March 08, 2023, 09:45:55 AM
I thought about a .410 but thought the 20 would be more forgiving in the pattern department and I already have a 20ga. We did pick up a little Stevens .410 at the store and he really liked it but I think it was because it was camo lol. It was the cheapest but had a full length stock so that's no good.

Makes sense! I got her a rossi tuffy turkey, it has the adjustable block for length of pull so it fits her well. Spits out a killable pattern at 40..would never let her take a shot that far but I was impressed with it for a .410. If you're dead set on him using a 20 with tss I would definitely look at a 2 3/4" load
Semper Fi

knightrider

Quote from: aclawrence on March 08, 2023, 08:21:03 AM
Hey guys I'm planning to take my son along with me on the youth hunt this year. I'm shooting a Remington 870 compact 20ga. I've been using Apex 3" 9's. Does anyone make a lower recoil load option that your aware of.  I let him shoot an old Stevens 20 ga single shot a few years ago with a high power squirrel load and that was a mistake. He'd been shooting the .22 and when he shot the shotgun he cried. I think it probably scared him mostly. Also the recoil pad is hard as a brick on that thing.  We stopped and looked and a Mossberg 510 20ga the other day and it is small and really lightweight. It's great because he can actually maneuver it around if a bird came in to an unexpected side but I can't imagine shooting a turkey load through that little gun. It would have to kick something awful. I know if he's shooting at a turkey he probably won't notice the recoil but I'd like to find something with a little less recoil if I could.

apex has a 2 3/4 1 3/8 load, Rogers sporting goods has them in stock

hawkeye1958

I got a Mossberg 510 20ga for my grandsons. I let them practice with low brass 2  3/4 shells.

They never noticed the difference when they shot their turkey with 3  inch TSS shells. I just reminded them to hold  tight to their shoulder before they shot.

I put a red dot on it and it seems to help. They can keep their head up and don't seem to feel the recoil on their cheek.

It's been a deadly little gun for us. The boys have shot several turkeys and I even shot one with it. Youngest grandson is 6 so I'll be holding on to it for a few more years.

Chris

krm944

I was in the same predicament last summer. My 9 year old thought he was ready for the 20 gauge. We bought a 500 youth model for him. He fired some low brass dove loads and the recoil was a bit stout! ????????????. We ended up doing a project to build a youth 28 gauge for him. Hatfield SAS 28ga at Walmart, sent the barrel off to be shortened and butt stock met the chop saw for a shorter LOP. We loaded some Tungsten for it and I fell in love with the 28!!! Zero recoil and 1oz load at 1200 fps.

I think I saw Apex once made the 20 gauge LT loads.  They were 2 3/4- not sure of payload.

aclawrence

That's awesome Chris.

aclawrence

Quote from: krm944 on March 10, 2023, 07:55:44 PM
I was in the same predicament last summer. My 9 year old thought he was ready for the 20 gauge. We bought a 500 youth model for him. He fired some low brass dove loads and the recoil was a bit stout! ????????????. We ended up doing a project to build a youth 28 gauge for him. Hatfield SAS 28ga at Walmart, sent the barrel off to be shortened and butt stock met the chop saw for a shorter LOP. We loaded some Tungsten for it and I fell in love with the 28!!! Zero recoil and 1oz load at 1200 fps.

I think I saw Apex once made the 20 gauge LT loads.  They were 2 3/4- not sure of payload.
Yeah I'd love to have an auto loader set up. I'm not familiar with the Hatfield.

paboxcall

The 2.75" with the 1 3/8oz. load of 9s is the way to go - check out Foxtrot Ammo. Blistering fast, too.

All I shoot in my 20 gauge is either that load, or a 2.75" and 1.5oz load of straight 8s.

No ballistic or energy reason for the longer shell or heavier payload.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

krm944

Quote from: aclawrence on March 10, 2023, 08:01:30 PM
Quote from: krm944 on March 10, 2023, 07:55:44 PM

Yeah I'd love to have an auto loader set up. I'm not familiar with the Hatfield.

Hatfield is an imported shotgun from Turkey and they are commonly sold at Walmarts. I think the SAS 28 gauge IS the reason Walmart carries 28 ga ammo.

Let's be 100% clear- the gun is $268. It is NOT a Beretta, Benelli or Kreighoff. I watched every available video on YouTube I could find. There are some reviews that are good, some that are bad. Some reviews put the gun on a pedestal near holiness and some despise it so much they vomit.

As an owner, the gun is somewhere in the middle. When I got the gun, I gave it a complete cleaning/scrubbing KNOWING a thick grease was applied at the factory to prevent rust on a slow boat ride to America. The magazine tube wasn't loose, but it wasn't tight either! I'm glad I pulled it off because the magazine spring did not get any lube at the factory.

The gun shoots very well. It is definitely more over gassed, than under gassed. My handloads in a Cheddite hull and Federal Top Gun loads run extremely well! I just tried a Rio load and it doesn't like to extract fired hulls.

When loading the magazine tube, with the smaller shell it's important to make sure you push the shell into the tube past the shell catch. If you're not careful, you can push a shell into the tube and when you fire, it drops out the bottom and doesn't get picked up by the elevator and cycled into the chamber. This is more "user error" mixed with smaller shotgun shells/large thumbs. I don't fault the gun for me not putting the shells in the tube correctly.

From all my research the 12 and 20 gauge guns are the most reliable, least amount of complaints. The 410 has the most complaints.

I would 100% recommend the gun with the above caveats/cautions and the advice to give the gun a "once over". Some people will give a Benelli that same once over, but most of us expect a Benelli to be ready to go when you open the box!!

https://www.hatfieldguncompany.com/sas-models