Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Hard Headed Gobblers - How did you kill ‘em!?

Started by POk3s, March 05, 2023, 07:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POk3s

There have been more than a couple of "tough ones" and I'm sure we'd prefer that if we're all telling the truth, but I'm curious as to how you killed the toughest turkeys. What did you do different and what clicked?

I have one in mind I'll share. Merriams are known as the easiest to kill. I would agree they're obviously the loudest, but every once in a while one becomes a "runner". I've seen stories of these birds on the forum from others as well. It's funny to me when the stories of "I thought these birds ran into the call but they're running away instead" start to roll in.  It becomes mind boggling how they will gobble at you and legitimately hit high gear going the other way for no apparent reason.

Anyway, the first day I struck him, I lost track of him after a few minutes from this track meet. Left me shaking my head going "what in the world was that about!?" The next day I went into the same area and struck him from a long ways off. After getting close to him a couple times and listening to him go the other way, I decided to shut it down. I looked at my map and saw how he was just traveling the top of a ridge. I decided to drop down the mountain below a bench and sprint ahead of him. I got far enough ahead of where I thought he'd be, and as I made my move perpendicular to him to set up, he hopped up on a giant Boulder right in front of me. Simultaneously, I raised my gun as he fixed his wings to either take flight or hop off....I popped him.

He was all alone, and unless he'd been screwed with already, no reason to be a "runner". It was neat to be able to look at the map, put it together, get ahead of him and have everything work so quickly.

I'm curious as to the stories you guys have on how you killed "the tough ones".

I'll try and post a pic of this bird but it's never easy on my phone. You can see the sweat pouring off me from my track meet.

The Boulder he hopped up on in the background

WV Flopper

Persistence, patience and luck.

In your case, stop calling, advance 100 yards on the gobblers trail and set tight.

Tail Feathers

If they are hard headed I aim a tad low to put more pellets in the neck bones.   :toothy12:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

I have a few different tactics for birds that are flat out ignorant.

But, I feel ya with "runner Merriam's".  Me and my brother got into a set of breaks on public in Wyoming about the 3rd week of their season.  Never saw another hunter that week.  But much evidence of hunters having been in there the prior 2 weeks.  Gobbling bird after gobbling bird.........we'd get set up......bird goes the other way.  Probably 20 times in 5 days between the 2 of us. 

The last morning there, I managed to get fairly tight in on a roosted bird.  he gobbled hard from the limb.  Shortly before I figured he was gonna fly down, I let out 3 VERY soft tree yelps on a diaphragm.  He gobbled back.  I slid the call over into my cheek and turned on the red dot.  Bird flew down.  Gobbled when he hit the ground.  I clucked once and 2 soft yelps.  About a minute later he runs his noggin up over the rise and I filled it full of Longbeard XR.

A mile away and an hour later..........the (next thing to it) silent treatment brought he demise to a beautiful snow tip for my brother, too.

I love to call to birds.  I love to get them to grandstand......strut......gobble the whole way in........   But, then there are those times.......those birds.......that are totally ignorant and beg me to be ignorant back.   I'll stoop to it.    ;D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Gooserbat

Easiest way is to catch them in a field and pop them with a 22-250. Probably not recommended (unless you are in Texas) but it's the easiest.

I will say that it sounds crazy but I've pulled a few calling stalks and got very close to a gobbler before he made just the last few and I mean very few yards.  It's a risky chess move but sometimes it works.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Greg Massey

Hard to kill gobblers that have had a lot of hunting pressure. More than likely he has heard and seen it all over time. Getting as close as you can within his bubble without bumping him and continue working him with soft slow calling. This kind of gobbler will test your patience and your calling ability. That's why i think it's important to practice your calling and cadence/rhythm. Sure you can kill some gobbler with a squawk, we have probably done this at some point. Setup and knowing your terrain is just as important in killing him. Never forget about throwing in a few gobbler yelps, you may need to convince him another gobbler is here to fight and take his hens.. Lots of variables and tactics can be used and you can still go home empty handed.  These gobbler kills in my opinion are the most memorable ones. The ones you have hunted the hardest and longest ...

deathfoot

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 05, 2023, 09:16:03 PM
Easiest way is to catch them in a field and pop them with a 22-250. Probably not recommended (unless you are in Texas) but it's the easiest. I will say that it sounds crazy but I've pulled a few calling stalks and got very close to a gobbler before he made just the last few and I mean very few yards.  It's a risky chess move but sometimes it works.

????

Uncle Tom

Couple years back I had one that would gobble at my soft clucks in an open pasture.....100 yds away. I could see him and worked him probably 10 minutes.... Could see him all the time but he would not get any closer. Took out an ole Lynch box call and it will make a pretty good gobble....I gobbled couple times and he moves to my right on a straight walk walking away out of sight. I waited about 5 minutes not making a sound. Never moved from my set up. After about 5 minutes I gave him couple soft clucks followed by some soft purrs. This went on few minutes but I did not gobble at him. All of a sudden he pops over a little rise in the pasture looking in my direction. I just set there watching him and slowly he began taking steps toward me. After few steps he gobbled and I immediately cut him off with one cluck....he gobbled right back. Every time he would gobble I would cut him off with a cluck. He kept coming thinking that gobbler he heard had left....he came in on a string and I took him at 38 yards. One of my most awarding hunts.

eggshell

Quote from: WV Flopper on March 05, 2023, 07:56:33 PM

In your case, stop calling, advance 100 yards on the gobblers trail and set tight.

This is it in a nutshell. I have an old addage I use all the time, "every bird has his stupid day" I just keep trying him until I hit that "Stupid day". Sometimes someone else hits his stupid day, but sooner or later they all wake up so horny they will throw caution to the wind. This usually happens late in the season. Many men have fallen to this "stupid state" as well.

Tom007

Quiet down, back off the calling for a period of time, maybe just keep him interested. When it's evident he's not breaking, I hit him with a fighting purr sequence. I just started using this, it's a "final curtain" move on a stubborn Tom. Last year after a 2 hour daybreak session, a stubborn Tom finally committed and felt the wrath of #7's at 30 yards.....I really don't think he would have broke without making him think another Tom slipped in on his bride......

JeffC

POk3s, great pictures in beautiful country! Toms that have played the game and won need extra effort, makes them all that more special. If he wont come in, its because hens are always moving, we know a Tom will know exactly where that call came from, if you sit tight to your original calling spot for 2 long , he knows its not natural, I will get up end move 10, 20 yds and have killed birds. Nothing works all the time but when it does, another tick to remember.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

aclawrence

Quote from: eggshell on March 06, 2023, 07:28:39 AM

This is it in a nutshell. I have an old addage I use all the time, "every bird has his stupid day" I just keep trying him until I hit that "Stupid day". Sometimes someone else hits his stupid day, but sooner or later they all wake up so horny they will throw caution to the wind. This usually happens late in the season. Many men have fallen to this "stupid state" as well.
This has filled me with hope this morning lol. It does seem to be about putting in the time, not pushing them into the next county, and being patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockhound

I has a farm once that was full of turkeys, there was a farm bluff across the road adjacent to the road. There was a gobbler that stayed on that bluff and if he gobbled over there the toms (multiples) on my side would burn the woods down, if he didn't you would hear one bird gobble a few times. Fast forward a couple weeks into season and I set up before daylight. No gobble from bluff tom. 1 bird gobbled on my side, I happened to be 70 yards away from him. He pitched down with 2 hens and I called them right by me with him in tow. He had 1-1/4" spurs, and I was confident I had killed the bluff Tom until the same practice went o. For a couple weeks. One afternoon on the next to last weekend of season I decided to drive up and hunt. I saw a Tom and 6 hens leave the woods and I intercepted him on their way back to the road. He had 1-1/2" spurs. Never heard another turkey gobble on that bluff, and am still confident to this day that that turkey when roosted on my side of the road would make the rest of them shut completely down.

GobbleNut

Yep,...and it often takes a really big dose of the last of those three.   :D
Sometimes it is just a contest to see who is the most hard-headed, the turkey...or me.  In my case, most often the turkey wins that contest.  I will only expend so much effort on a gobbler until I am moving on to find one that is willing to play by my rules.  Sometimes their rules and mine do not align and I have learned to accept defeat and move on. 

sswv

one of those 'hard headed' birds was 2017 for me. from opening day until the last week that bird and a buddy gave us a downright fit. I know of 4 different hunters that tried to kill him with no luck. he would start gobbling about 30 to 45 minutes after daybreak and walk all around and out of hearing. he would be spotted several times but him and the buddy would always be heading away. on the last week I thought I'd give him one more try since nobody had been hunting there for over a week. just like clock work he didn't fail me. sure enough about 30 minutes after daybreak I heard him. I called soft and he sounded off flanking me heading towards a big hollow. I crawled in a hurry towards the direction I thought he would go and called soft again. BAM, he answered but started to veer off so, I did the one thing that I was told when I was a kid that you NEVER do in southern WV. I gobbled back at him and did so with force. I'm telling you he absolutely lost his mind. he lit into gobbling his head off and heading my way in a hurry. he stepped out from a big popular tree with his neck stretched straight out with his buddy behind him in full strut. just enough noise for him to put his head up a load of heavy 7's from a 20ga ended his rule of that area. one of the coolest hunts I've had